Up Front in "bad" weather

Kip Powick

This is a 39 second video of what the pilots see during a bad weather Cat III approach. I thought I would post it as I know not all readers/members are pilots and I think it will give you an idea of what a pilot will see, (out the window), doing a CATAGORY 3 approach.

Basically the technology is available that once the pilot sets up the instruments and power/configuration (flaps/slats and gear) the aircraft will fly to the runway, land, and even apply the brakes. As always the pilot has the option of disconnecting the "magic" at anytime and flying "out of the approach".

It should be noted that not every airport airliners fly to have the technology on the ground that will allow the capable aircraft to do a CAT III approach.

I am sure all pilots here will agree that CAT III approaches are certainly not an everyday occurrence but they are a lot of fun to do. :biggrin1:

The weather in the video is "no ceiling- visibility 200 meters..

. I would estimate the speed at touchdown to be 110kts or close to 200km/hr. You will hear a few comments from the pilots and the synthetic voice advising the pilots how high they are as they near the runway.

Enjoy.

The lack of visual references looks pretty typical from what I remember, having only done a CAT III in anger 4 or 5 times, with the last time being over 10 years ago. They were very "interesting" on RWY 31 at Leeds-Bradford, where the runway has a significant elevation change in the touchdown zone area. Shortly after we were based there, the UK CAA took away the CAT III certification for that runway.

One thing I noticed - I don't understand the F/O talking over the 100 foot auto-callout. For CAT III certification and operations, auto-callouts are mandatory, so if the auto-callout doesn't happen, the Captain should be doing a go-around. The F/O talking over a mandatory auto-callout is redundant and a potential distraction. Less talk is better in a low visibility situation, IMHO.

........................................One thing I noticed - I don't understand the F/O talking over the 100 foot auto-callout. For CAT III certification and operations, auto-callouts are mandatory, so if the auto-callout doesn't happen, the Captain should be doing a go-around. The F/O talking over a mandatory auto-callout is redundant and a potential distraction. Less talk is better in a low visibility situation, IMHO.

Very true Jeff....but then again different companys have different SOPs...Perhaps the PNF was confirming that "Bitching Betty" did make the 100 foot call......The difference in SOPs was most evident to many of us when CP merged with AC :biggrin2:

Problem is, he called "100" just before Betty did, so he wasn't confirming it. He was making a redundant SOP call. It's not his fault, the SOP is flawed, IMHO. By the way, I noticed their airplane didn't call "RETARD". Must be one of those primitive American machines! :stirthepot:

I don't know what it was after the merger, but today the AC SOP is for the PNF to "monitor or announce" the autocallouts. When they're required (CAT III or CAT II with autoland), the PNF can't "replace" the auto-callout. When they're not required (CAT I or CAT II with a manual landing), the PNF can replace the auto-callout. The intention is that only one call will be made, and it's the cleanest way to handle it, IMHO. SOPs should be written with the KISS principle in mind, especially for procedures that are done infrequently.

When we trained for IIIb in Europe, one of the outages allowed on a Cat III approach was the approach light system itself. Centre and edge lights, approaching end of runway and taxi lead-off lights all required, with some individual lights allowed to be u/s, though usually no 2 in a row.

One of the worst SOP's I've seen for the Cat III approach was with Air Atlanta. There were very few callouts in common with the Cat I/II SOP. My argument fell on deaf ears, that argument being that of an approach done maybe once a year with crews that generally were intimidated by bad weather to begin with, having to remember differences in calls right down to the deck.

There was no discussion with the Icelandic vikings in charge! :head:

The only people who assume that the call is an announcement of the Flight Crew's IQ are the ones who don't know the difference in the first place, so for them, it is in fact, an accurate assessment! :icon_butt::dueling:

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Archived