Dress and Deportmant

Kip Powick

Just curious ....are they any restrictions with respect to haircuts/shoes shined, clean shirts etc for crews in the Canadian airline Industry.

The reason for asking is that a picture of a Canadian airline pilot was posted on another site and the guy had his cap on and was sporting a ponytail with a rubber band around it.........

Another individual related a story of another Canadian airline that has a few "off-shore" pilots working for them and apparently there are a few of these individuals "looking a bit weird" with respect to personal dress and physical attributes.

Are there "dress code" SOPs and are they not enforced and if there are, why are they not being enforced...or is this another "Human Rights" issue?

Hello Kip,

We have a dress code in our OPS Manual, I would say it is followed for the most part, any chance you could post the pic in question? As far as haircuts don't recall reading anything, shoes supposed to be clean.

As to following SOP's I caught a ride home with a different carrier two days ago and noticed the pilots getting off the plane almost before any passengers, do the SOPs at your old carrier allow for the pilots to deplane before the passengers?

Hope all is well,

Regards,

60N30W

Well, don't know about the rest but AC and Jazz definitely have grooming and uniform standards that would preclude ponytails and any other "weirdness

The pilot was JAZZ Captain.

any chance you could post the pic in question

No, I wouldn't do that, not fair to the individual

do the SOPs at your old carrier allow for the pilots to deplane before the passengers?

I'm not sure about SOPs but when flying with WD/CP and AC I never saw any pilots "bail" prior to the pax except in exceptional cases where a commuting pilot was trying to get a tight connection and in those cases, the other fellow always stood at the door and said "Gu-bye".

Well at least tell us what the site is and we can go search the picture ourselves. wink.gif

I'm almost positive the Jazz Ops Manual forbids ponytails, now whether this pilot was following the directive is another question.

Wasn't there a human rights case back in the early 1980's about an AC pilot who refused to cut his hair according to the SOP (I remember seeing diagrams in an old manual of how one's hair should look!), who in turn won his case and continued his career with a pony tail almost down to his "cleavage"?

Wasn't there a human rights case back in the early 1980's about an AC pilot who refused to cut his hair according to the SOP (I remember seeing diagrams in an old manual of how one's hair should look!), who in turn won his case and continued his career with a pony tail almost down to his "cleavage"?

I guess you could say "continued". As I recall, he quit virtually right after the case was heard.

... wasn't he a Millard?

WJ also recently cracked down and amended the Pilot dress and deportment issue..... for a while I was shaking my head at some of the styles of individuality that my a small few of my colleagues undertook.

We are much stricter than we used to be ...... the same went on in the FA dept as well.

I believe when you wear a uniform you surrender your rights to be an individual and during that time convey the company image and not your own...

Be a Individual on your own time.

SB

PS - isn't it spelled deportment? with an e

It was Wayne Millard. He just liked getting up management's nose. After he won the hair decision he went after the long sleeve vs. short sleeve rules. I don't think CALPA was willing to go to bat for that one. Anyway, he resigned shortly afterward. As he said, "I couldn't see the point in staying." I know how that feels.

Archived