Little help...please

Kip Powick

Need some expertise/thoughts on a good quality WEB CAM. I don't need the all singing and dancing model but a model that will allow a good picture as the DOE wants to see the granddaughter more often via the tech world.

Any thoughts/direction would be helpful......and by the way..is Skype the way to go??

Thanks

Kip

I've had real good luck with skype from various places around the world, but the secret is to have a fast connection. It works on dial-up but certainly not as well, with drops and delays. The camera would load up the system even more making the highspeed a "must have".

Worth buying the skype out as well, for a few bucks a month it gives access to landline numbers around the world at good rates.

Have fun.

I've got several but the one I like is the Creative vf0410. Got it on sale for 40 bucks. It is driverless - ie plug it in the usb and it goes. No installation, no bells no whistles. Just a cam and mike that work very well. You CAN add the adtional software for the face recog (how does it do that?) and all the wotnot but I skipped that. Just look for "driverless" on the package.

Skype is great - it's a free progam that is free to talk to other computers but you can buy landline time. (phftft, yea, right) but my whole family (including overseas) uses it with great free results. Watch the babies grow up from thousands of miles away.

Kip:

I use Skype exclusively when I'm on the road and as Robert says, as long as you have a good high speed connection, the camera will work reasonably well. Most of the time I just go with the audio, 'cause no one really wants to see my pale face anyways. It just scares the crap out of Karen's dog.

Skype on computer to computer is free and Skype Out to land lines averages around $0.025 per minute. Don't make the mistake I made. I used it to call a colleague on his mobile in the UK, and the per minute rate was around $0.75!

What ever you buy make sure its well known name, like Logitech.

I tried two cheaper brands and ended up getting a Logitech .

I have tried Yahoo and Hotmail. Skype, seems to be the better option.

One other thing. You might want to consider getting a good quality computer headset.

It seems to make a difference.

...have fun

..... Don't make the mistake I made. I used it to call a colleague on his mobile in the UK, and the per minute rate was around $0.75!

Skype is still better than the $4.00 per minute that you might spend in some countries. Most foreign countries are close to $3.00 per minute to use a cellphone.

I use Skype so much now that I am questioning whether or not I need a cellphone. Another feature of Skype is to put call forwarding onto the Skype line. No need to leave the computer running. The people call on Skype and the call is forwarded to your home line at 2.5 cents a minute.

If you want to take the Skype call on the landline and then switch to the totally free Skype method then call them back. However, 2.5 cents per minute is so cheap that an hour long telephone call from anywhere in the world is a buck and a half. The price of a small Timmies coffee for an hours talking across the world?

.. You might want to consider getting a good quality computer headset.

It seems to make a difference.

I thought that a big headset was the only way to go also, but, it was cumbersome to carry a big unit around.

One day I plugged my little cellphone earbud and mike into the laptop. Eventually, I only used the microphone plug and let the sound come through the laptop speakers. It works perfectly. No feedback and I can do conference calls with a dozen people in the room talking to another dozen in another country.

Some International companies now use Skype as their preferred communications.

Eventually, I only used the microphone plug and let the sound come through the laptop speakers.  It works perfectly.  No feedback and I can do conference calls with a dozen people in the room talking to another dozen in another country.

Yeh It might be that my built in (laptop) mic is not that great.

If you can go without the headset IT IS the batter way to go.

apple...I wish

rolleyes.gif

Here's what I would like:

COMES WITH A CAMERA

traitor !!!! biggrin.giftongue.gif

PS...my desktop is at the Voodoo Mechanics...should be ready this afternoon....the "C" hard drive spasmed out. Had to buy a new drive and reload the entire OS. Fortunately no data lost on the "D" Drive smile.gif

"Junior" says he is going to put in a "terrorbite" hard drive at our place so he can download all his business stuff here incase of fire and will give me some space to backup my stuff...good to have kids !! laugh.gif

Thanks to all...went with a Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP..and Skype

Archived