Confessions of a true addict:

I'm sick...

I dunno when it first hit me - Or maybe I do?... I was casually strolling through our humble little villiage during the annual garage sale day (once a year the whole town does a garage sale while the Lions and Lionesses collect some coin from visitors), and one of my neighbors had this beautiful example of an old phone for sale.... $5.00 ...and I bought it.... a really heavy old bakelite phone from the 40's... the dial makes a really cool "clickety, clickety, click, click" sound as it returns... even using it to dial out and yak with friends somehow felt really neat...

Now I've since bought and restored to serviceable status an old "candlestick phone"... what a gas! You hold this really heavy bakelite earpiece thing to your ear while you talk into a cup-like thing at the top of a candlestick-like thing that's made out of black painted brass and nickel plated brass.... (know what I mean?).... I rewired it with authentic-for-the-period cloth wiring, and I have it sitting in front of me now... I love that damned thing!

So far... that's not too bad is it?>... but... but.... ebay has me hooked... in the last week I've bought two more old ones... one from the 40's again, and another from the 20's - 30's....

Ack!

I'm sick I tell ya. .... Anyone got a cure for me?? I don't think I'll be satisfied until I've got one of the old wooden crank type wall phones hanging in my kitchen! ohmy.gif

We have an old Northern Electric, similar to this one, but the box is a bit shorter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Northern-Elect...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's fully operational, except the crank has been disabled, and a rotary dial installed inside, which is hidden from sight when not in use, and accessible by opening the hinged front of it.

It's great as a novelty, beautiful if you have an appreciation for antiques, but from a functional standpoint, think about how long you want to stand in one spot, facing the wall, holding the earpiece up to your ear, versus the convenience of today's modern phones. wink.gif

I'm sick I tell ya. .... Anyone got a cure for me?? I don't think I'll be satisfied until I've got one of the old wooden crank type wall phones hanging in my kitchen! 

I hear ya Mitch. I have one of those and amazingly the magnets are still poweful. If you wet your fingers and hang on to the wires you can get a good buzz!

Happy searching!

Archived