Easter Math Stumper

Kip Powick

This is a real stumper…I took it with me on my last sojourn south and only managed to get the answer in the past two days…..it is not easy.

Place in the empty squares such figures, (different in every case, and no two squares containing the same figure), so that they shall add up to 15 in as many straight directions as possible.

Nice try Jeff......but you only have thenumbers add up to  15 running in 8 straight lines. Would it surprise you if I told you there is the possible way to have 15 in 10 straight lines?? wink.gif

WTF? blink.gif I guess the answer to your question is, "YES!"

so that they shall add up to 15 in as many straight directions as possible.

In order to solve the puzzle all the parameters as stated in the initial post must be accomplished......read the initial post carefully.....anyhow..here is a hint biggrin.gif

so that they shall add up to 15 in as many straight directions as possible.

In order to solve the puzzle all the parameters as stated in the initial post must be accomplished......read the initial post carefully.....anyhow..here is a hint biggrin.gif

OK you made it much more difficult and I suspect that the answer has to take negative numbers into account so as to fit your diagram?

shouldn't the diagonals of 2 be parallel rather that intersecting?

I would say the same thing.

Because with only three numbers to work with and one is fixed the other two must be the same number. But that is against the rules.

However, I am sure Kip is going to say different. tongue.gif

I'm sure given the time you persons of above average intelligence will figure it out.

My daughter has a friend in Japan and the friend knows I love puzzles so she sent it to me. Took along time, (almost a month) to get out of a mindset, (had no hints) and think in a different direction but I thought I had the answer and sent her an email.

She replied late this afternoon that my solution was correct.........but you have to really think out of the box..... and remember to really read the initial post

Repeating the question.............

Place in the empty squares such figures, (different in every case, and no two squares containing the same figure), so that they shall add up to 15 in as many straight directions as possible.

Here is PART ONE of the answer......and the answer must be adjusted to fulfill the requirements of the original question

Question repeated..............Place in the empty squares such figures, (different in every case, and no two squares containing the same figure), so that they shall add up to 15 in as many straight directions as possible.

Here the answer is complete and fulfills ALL requirements of the original question

believe it or not I got as far as part 1 biggrin.gif but didn't have the smarts to take it to the next step sad.gif

Archived