L--o--n--g approach

Kip Powick

A US company has finished certification on the world's longest RNP RNAV approach, to a new airport in the mountains of Tibet. (ZUNZ)

The new Linzhi airport is at an elevation of 9,670 feet, and due to the surrounding mountainous terrain, could not be served by ground-based nav aids. Therefore, the Chinese government commissioned the development of an RNP approach, and the one that was developed has a winding approach path 95 miles long, with 108 waypoints. Watch this video of the first jet approach into the airport just this month:

Long Approach

Very cool. This is the company that designed all WestJet's RNP approaches.

On their website under "services" there is a Google Earth KMZ file which depicts the most "entertaining" of their approach designs including the ones into YLW that they did for WestJet. If you have Google Earth installed on your computer just download the zip file and double click on the file inside to open it in Google Earth. For those who haven't tried Google Earth it is FREE and a great peice of software.

Oooops spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering that...it had the same flavour...that was a fabulous video as well.

Thanks Don, The more I see of RNP the more impressed I am. As a recent convert from the B737-200 to the NG and all it's bells and whistles I must say that it is a constant learning experience. A lot of fun but a lot of work at the same time.

If you get a chance to look at the depictions in Google Earth particularly the ones into QueensTown NZ you will see the ultimate (IMHO) use of radius to fix turns especially the approach onto runway 05 all on a 3 degree gradient path.

That is similar to what WestJet went through during the data gathering and evaluation stages of RNP also. We set RNP 0.1 containment but flew to RNP 0.3 minimums. This resulted in a few "Unable req'd nav perf - RNP" messages when the signal degraded but my understanding is there were not enough to be statistically concerning.

Now I believe we are waiting for someone in YOW to give us the final approval to fly to RNP 0.1 minumums. Right now the minimims are not significantly different, in most cases RNP 0.1 minimums are 250 to 300 feet and RNP 0.3 are 350 to 450 feet.

It is very nice to be able to set what is classified as a non precesion approach in criuse and have a constant descent profile all the way down to a couple of hundred of feet above terra firma. This is of course barring any deviations or changes from our radar veiwing collegues. whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I find it interesting, 'specially after flying into Katmandu on a DC3 in 1982..then hiking through the Himalayas.

But for the Chinese to claim an RNAV approach with multiple waypoints the most difficult in the world..I take umbrage.

Anyone who's done the Loc only into Castlegar, or NDB approach into any number of BC or northern airports during the winter..I'm sure can relate.

Cool video though!

groundeffect,

Having done both LOC into YCG many times and the RNP; the RNP is MUCH easier. I think it's perhaps harder to 'design' an RNP approach 95 miles long, but the end result is

simplicity for the crew with proper training (they are so simple that one needs to personally fight complacency).

Archived