The benefits of a National Union

Kip Powick

Northwest pilots get $10 million pledge for strike fund

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (AP) — The parent union for 5,000 Northwest Airlines pilots has pledged up to $10 million for a strike contingency fund, providing leverage as negotiations with management enter a crucial phase.

"We do not want to strike. We want to reach a fair, consensual agreement with Northwest management," Mark McClain, chairman of the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association reiterated Thursday.

Northwest operates passenger hubs in Minneapolis; Memphis; and Detroit.

The union also said company negotiators continue to make "unreasonable demands." Pilot pay has been cut 39% since late 2004, and Northwest wants permanent cuts worth $358 million a year.

Northwest and its pilots have been negotiating for three weeks in New York, where the airline also is asking a bankruptcy judge to nullify the labor contracts for the pilots and flight attendants unions.

Northwest said Thursday that it wants to reach agreements "in the very near future."

The labor hearing, which opened Jan. 17, resumes Tuesday. If agreements aren't reached, Judge Allan Gropper is expected to decide on voiding the contracts on or before Feb. 16 unless all sides request an extension.

Northwest ALPA has said it's ready to strike if the judge nullifies its contract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually some things change, Alpa was instrumental in helping Jazz through CCAA.

Maybe so, but it did squat for nearly 600 C3 pilots who lost their jobs with one day's notice, then once C3 managed a final reduced paycheque 3 weeks later, ALPA still sucked out their pound of flesh. After that, nothing.

What was required, was pointed out in short order after the fact, was an organized national approach to the handling of the unemployment programmes sponsored for (not directly handled by) the federal government. Zero lobbying/action took place and for each of the 577 claims (less the 100 or so who were picked up immediately by SSV) that were submitted, the agencies acting on behalf of EI reacted 577 (- 100) different ways. Some pilots actually received Airbus training; others were denied full benefits because in the final month of their employment they only "worked" 70 flying hours.

Once again, Thank You ALPA for nothing.

One measures the worth of an organization not by the good times, but the bad as well.

Just an opinion. I don't really care anymore!

Guest Kilo Mike

G'day Moon.

My sentiments exactly. ALPA wants our dues, but could care less about the Canadian industry. A generalization I realize, but one based on actual experiences gleaned from working under multiple union banners.

"One measures the worth of an organization not by the good times, but the bad as well." - MTL

Sage words ....

Guest long keel

Also,

Ask a United pilot how their pension is doing and their opinion of ALPA, and you find it ranks equal with an Alberta ranchers opinion of the Liberals. At least this is the sentiment I get on ORD layovers when we meet the UAL guys in the pub. They are hurting bad, and this latest loss doesn't improve their future outlook. I really feel for their employees.

lk

Ask a United pilot how their pension is doing and their opinion of ALPA

I'd be the first to admit I don't know how the pension scheme works with UA/ALPA but I would imagine that ALPA just didn't ignore their plight...perhaps "legaleeze" was at work and there was little ALPA could do.

If one is to always blame the Union for an airline's near demise then perhaps one should start looking at home first with respect to the unions within the airline industry in Canada.

I'm sure the guys in the PG in AC have nothing but accolades for their union. biggrin.gif

The parent union for 5,000 Northwest Airlines pilots has pledged up to $10 million for a strike contingency fund, providing leverage as negotiations with management enter a crucial phase.

Lets see, 10 million divided by 5,000 equals $2,000.00 each and if we assume the average wage is approx $ 100,000.00/year that's about a weeks salary for each person.

I realize that you don't get full pay from a strike fund, and $10 million is a lot of cash, but if you crunch the numbers how much leverage is it really?? ( I know a lot more than if there was nothing wink.gif )

One of the most difficult burdens of a union is the high expectations of it's membership.

In some cases a union is only as good as it's leaders but in ALPA's case the union is only as strong as it's membership.

If you want ALPA to do something for you, you have a LOT of people to convince before they start spending time and resources on your cause. Sometimes the good of the many outweigh the good of the few...unless you can convince them that the good of the few IS for the good of the many!

ALPA has done a lot of good for a lot of people and those that were well versed in union politics have acheived much for their immediate fellow members.

Get involved.

GTFA

If you want ALPA to do something for you, you have a LOT of people to convince before they start spending time and resources on your cause. Sometimes the good of the many outweigh the good of the few...unless you can convince them that the good of the few IS for the good of the many!

Maybe so, but when you see your dues being used to support a group of pilots during a protracted strike south of the border, and then get ZERO help from that same union when your company goes Tango Uniform, it's pretty hard to feel like you got much for your money all those years. That's how alot of former C3 pilots feel about ALPA. I'm not talking about ALPA giving them cash, but it would have been nice if they had supported a large group of people so they could get consistent treatment through the unemployment process.

Union members really need to get into a "pay it forward" mindset to have any leverage. Notwithstanding past wrongs, this is the only way to establish strength over the long term, industry-wide.

Archived