For Nozel

Mitch Cronin

Re: "One very lucky satelite fly past as I wonder the odds of finding an airliner caught mid flight under the satelite track..."

I'll bet there are a lot of them... check 43.40.15.10N 79.40.08.13W for example. smile.gif

Just have a look in the vacinity of DFW, and LAX. Plenty of A/C types landing and taking off. A few months ago there was a B747 on the left taxi way of R/W 28 in YYC with stairs up to the front left with the caption "airplane in trouble". It is not there anymore. What would have happend to it. from a googleearth junkie.

Found my answer.

Reged: 08/11/05

Re: Is This Plane in Trouble? - Calgary Intl Airport

08/11/05 03:44 PM

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

The aircraft is Air Force One. The G8 Summit was in Calgary in the summer of 2003. You can see the stairs are coming from the belly of the aircraft and not the normal loading door. All the planes of state were parked on the taxiway during the Summit. If the picture had been taken later in the day, there would be four widebody aircraft on that taxiway. Air Force One did not remain on the airport for long and flew to Montana after dropping off GW Bush.

Not to divert the thread at all and indeed the technology is remarkable.

One wonders then, why, after at least eight separate but dismissed opportunities, the NASA organization refused or stopped the imagery process of STS-107's wing.

The technology was there. What is fascinating about this is the organizational failures which chose not to look at damage when engineers were writing emails to managers pleading for the imagery.

Anyway...no intention of threadcreep...since my first Commodore C64 in 1986, the last 20 years has wrought what could only seen by post-war babies as PF magic...

Don,

Wasn't it you who quite correctly pointed out to me that any discussion that ensues from any other can be just as legitimate as what may have been intended? (or something like that? tongue.gif )

In any case... That's a question worth asking! Why?...

A quart of complacency, 2 cups of arrogance, a tablespoon of ignorance... blended slowly with financial control in risk management... ?

...not a very nice recipe. sad.gif

One can't help but wonder what NASA would have done had they discovered the extent of the damage on Columbia's wing. There was no shuttle ready to launch a rescue mission and the ISS isn't capable of housing a full shuttle crew for very long. Still, I'd like to think they would have done their best to come up with some kind of plan.

One can't help but wonder what NASA would have done had they discovered the extent of the damage on Columbia's wing.

If the problem on Apollo 13 (the explosion of a cryogenic tank in the service module) had been presented as a problem solving teaching scenario in the classroom, it is doubtful that the command module would have made it back to earth.

What is fascinating about this is the organizational failures which chose not to look at damage when engineers were writing emails to managers pleading for the imagery.

Fascinating? Perhaps. Certainly disturbing. I have always felt that it was terribly unfair not to include the crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia in the decision making process. All seven were intelligent, skilled and trained, and while trapped in that shuttle, would have been highly motivated. And it was indecent to let them fly to their deaths in ignorance.

In the almost 36 years that have elapsed, failure has now become an option. sad.gif

ccairspace

Re: "One very lucky satelite fly past as I wonder the odds of finding an golfer last putt 18th country meadows

google earth 4909147n 123040569w

myself and buddies today jeez just wish I could have kept that secret...

RZ

Archived