Boat fixin' do-it-yourselfers?

Can anyone here offer me any hints?.... Our boat broke. Something in the drive started making a really ugly noise while I was whippin' my son around on a tube... I managed to trim it to a point the noise would stay away, as long as I didn't turn much at all.... so we got it back home...

I'm thinking u-joints in the upper drive shaft to the oiutdrive?...

My question is... (it's a 1990 Alpha 1 sterndrive connected to a Mercruiser 350 magnum) ...After disconnecting the pair of tilt actuators and removing 6 nuts from the back of the drive unit, what is it that stops the thing from coming off? I can get about a half inch of gap, then it stops.... what have I missed?

I don't have a flippin' book for this thing, dangit... huh.gif

Service your leg with the proper Merc oil and strain the oil when you drain it. My experience is when the bearings in the prop drive go there's no warning.

Probably not a good sign. sad.gif

Mav... Based on the fine-when-trimmed-in-one-position-and-running-straight-only scenario, I'm hoping the lower unit is just fine... changed gear oil regularly and with proper stuff... But really, the noise only returned when I slowed to diddley at the dock and had to maneuver to get in... which is why I'm think u-joints... I will have to check entire unit, of course (maybe even replace the whole flippin' thing?!), but I have to get it off first! icon_question.gif I've never done that yet... only had the lower unit off once to replace the lower water pump.

Thanks Seeker... I'd just come back to say I've got it (along with having a smoke and a sip of the deal old golden soother of all woes wink.gif )... I there was a gizmo on the lower part of the upper unit where it feeds in that needed to be aligned straight... which, when shifted into forward, did straighten and allow entire unit removal... The sad news for me is... the u-joints are apparently just fine. sad.gif

It's starting to feel expensive. ...not sure where to look next...

Cheers,

Whale Oil Beef Hooked! It's the bearing the shaftt rides in where it goes through the transom... unsure.gif Yuk, that looks like a mess to change! All I see is balls bunched up at the bottom of the bearing... sad.gif

You're right Eric... I see from the link Seeker provided that I can get an online service manual for about 35 bucks.

Mitch, with my experience with merc's and others, it will drop out only if you have the engine in the forward gear...It should drop right off then. Lift up on the leg again, put it in forward gear and it should come right off.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll look in a manual for ya.

Can anyone here offer me any hints?.... Our boat broke. Something in the drive started making a really ugly noise while I was whippin' my son around on a tube... I managed to trim it to a point the noise would stay away, as long as I didn't turn much at all.... so we got it back home...

I'm thinking u-joints in the upper drive shaft to the oiutdrive?...

My question is... (it's a 1990 Alpha 1 sterndrive connected to a Mercruiser 350 magnum) ...After disconnecting the pair of tilt actuators and removing 6 nuts from the back of the drive unit, what is it that stops the thing from coming off? I can get about a half inch of gap, then it stops.... what have I missed?

I don't have a flippin' book for this thing, dangit... huh.gif

Mitch,

try talking to Rick Mawby on the ramp, he used to do that kind of work with his father, he will know how to disassemble and repair the stern drive.

I used to play with them, but it has been many years, I am not far away if you would like me to drop by and have a look and offer some assistance

Archived