the odd things to be found on the internet

I got myself a violin... on ebay... it came with a nice case and a bow and a little cup that was supposed to have a "rosin cake" in it... Evidently, the horse hairs on the bow will happily slide over the strings without hardly a sound, without "rosin"... Apparently the rosin adds a bit of stickiness to the hairs and then they'll make the violin strings vibrate when it's drawn across them.... and without it, this one sounds a bit like a dying man that can only just whisper....

So this thing that's supposed to be a "rosin cake" is too old and hard... like old candy... and it's useless...

Then I get to wondering... "What's rosin?" ... I looked it up on the internet and found it's made from pine pitch.... Well, heck, out in the yard I go and I rub my bow hairs over some sticky pine sap... and now... Wow! It sounds like someone woke up that dying man and he's just a screamin' his old heart out. biggrin.gif

...gotta quit this ebay stuff... huh.giflaugh.gif

..anyone know of any software for learning violin? cool.gif

Yessir. Guilty as charged. A holidayin' I be. biggrin.gif (Did you know rum is magnetic? wink.gif )

Googled. Good golly! There's a whole nest of songs with that line in it! ,,,things that make me wonder how I ever got this far in life without knowing... Rosin eh?... I never knew.... Anyway, good old Pine sap seems to have worked for now... I guess I'll see if it causes problems later on?

Mitch... "..anyone know of any software for learning violin?"

Yes. Bose makes it and installs it in those fancy headsets. Forgotten what its called... biggrin.gif

Seriously...you've taken up the violin? Wonderful! My Dad played all his life until arthritis made his finger joints larger. The size of the joints began sharpening all the notes because he couldn't get the fingers close!

I've played the piano since I was a kid. Actually started on the pipe organ...(loved the sound from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), then migrated. Its the greatest therapy next to aerobatics, chopping wood among other things...

Took only a few lessons over the years. I simply found pieces I loved, bought the music, listened to the pros playing and tried to make it sound like them. Never did, but on some of the simpler pieces it gets close enough for me. Its a great way to learn jazz as well but I've stuck to the classics all my life. Rachmaninoff is my favourite.

Not sure if Suzuki makes software but their violin method as well as their piano method is worth examining. I'm sure that there are lesson plans tailored to adult beginners. I cannot encourage you enough Mitch..its a wonderful endeavour. Music does something for the mind well beyond the learning of an instrument or mere "music appreciation". It changes the way you think and certainly the way you feel. There's a change in the interaction between the right and left side of the brain after a while.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Don

Yes. Bose makes it and installs it in those fancy headsets. Forgotten what its called... biggrin.gif

Thanks Don... perfect answer! laugh.gif

I've been fiddling with a guitar for years, but only recently started actually learning... as my son gets better at it I'm encouraged... I tried drumming when I was a kid... can blow a little bit of bluesy stuff on a harmonica... Just started trying to learn bass guitar... and now the violin has caught me. (between the bass and the violin my fingers are hitting the limits of stretch and shrink!... I can sympathize with your father's dilemma! Man these things have a tiny little neck!)

I never get tired of music... my appreciation for it just keeps growing. ...always wished my folks had played something to get me interested in playing when I was young... but I don't suppose it's too late to learn now. ...and if, while I'm at it, my son or daughter should happen to take an interest... why heck, sure they can have a go!! wink.gif (I reckon if they see their old man can figure it out, they'll know they could too!)

Music ....

tosses my soul to the winds

where it dances and soars through every wild where and everywhen

and right here, right now...

biggrin.gif

I'll look for something from Suzuki... Thank you.

Cheers,

Mitch

Good day Mitch,

The Violin?? What a great choice!! I have a violin as well that I am trying to learn on.

The book series "all for strings" is a good start, it will teach you the basics and let you advance to a level where you can start playing short pieces.

Some advice? Try practicing when the house is empty. The violin is a very cruel instrument. When the bow hits two strings at the same time, you get to hear some pretty wicked noise comming out of that thing..... Might scare the family(or annoy them tongue.gif )

It s a great instrument, hope you enjoy it!!

Eric

Cool Eric! Imagine that... there's at least two of us in ACM with our noodles bent right around backwards! laugh.gif

Good advice, thanks. ...I cam't seem to find a volume knob on this thing... wink.gif Hey? Maybe that's a pine pitch issue?... I'd better find some real rosin I guess. I'll have to find a music store near a book store someplace. cool.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

If you insist on practicing while the family is at home, you can get a damper for the bridge. Its usually a small rubber/plastic piece that slips on top of the bridge and prevents it from vibrating as much. They are relatively cheap and they are usually much appreciated by the family. I think they are called violin mutes.

Eric

Archived