F/As..be careful what you say ?

Kip Powick

Can she say that?

Is the airline cabin an appropriate place for a flight attendant to say, "God bless you all"? That's the question tackled this week by Keith L. Alexander, the Business Class columnist at The Washington Post .

A reader tells Alexander a flight attendant on United Airlines Flight 991 said that to passengers when the flight landed March 14 at Los Angeles International. "I just wondered if it was appropriate," passenger Ken Bricknell, a San Francisco-based consultant, tells Alexander. "You're a captive audience and you have to listen to what the flight attendant tells you."

Indeed, airline policies vary on what can – or should — be said over a plane's public address system. A United spokesman told Alexander the airline frowns upon any statements of a religious nature. But while some fliers expressed reservations, others didn't seem to mind. California traveler Elizabeth Elwell tells Alexander that she's "happy to take all the blessings I can get."

California traveler Elizabeth Elwell tells Alexander that she's "happy to take all the blessings I can get."

Personally, I think that's great attitude (this coming, of course, from a bleeding-heart left-wing tree-hugging liberal tongue.gif ) but I wonder what her response would have been if the flight attendant had said, "May Allah's blessing and peace be on you." wink.gif

Archived