AC F/As don't want new uniform

Kip Powick

Celine Dion wore the outfit once and got paid oodles, but Air Canada's flight attendants aren't eager to get the new look on a runway any time soon.

The uniform Ms. Dion wore to promote the refreshed image of the fresh-from-bankruptcy-protection airline was unveiled for the promo in front of Air Canada employees last fall.

But the tight skirt and wider-than-normal collar shirt are getting a thumbs-down from the union representing flight attendants.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees has filed a grievance against the company and wants more time to consider whether the look is right for flight attendants.

"We've made so many sacrifices with our wages and making concessions, this new uniform program seems quite lavish.

"Getting into a new uniform costs money," said Sherry Cameron, an Air Canada flight attendant with 31 years of experience.

Air Canada touted its first change in look since 1994 as good enough for the pop diva, with its tasteful design of blue wool-mix fabric and contoured lines.

The airline wants to project an image of "modern sophistication" as it fights rivals WestJet Airlines Ltd. and Jetsgo Corp. for passengers.

"We understand that uniforms are a very important component of our employees' work," said Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke.

But union members, who pay half of the uniforms' cost, think the company is being too quick with its fashion judgment.

With the uniforms set to be introduced on a trial basis in April, the lack of access to a prototype bothers Ms. Cameron.

"There hasn't been a sample of the fabric for us to see. We can't really tell what exact colour it is."

CUPE's uniform committee says its members are worried they may become fashion victims with Air Canada's choice to throw out the existing green-and-red scheme.

"The company is not consulting with us in a meaningful fashion, and we have therefore filed a grievance," Pamela Sachs, president of CUPE's Air Canada component, said in an e-mail to union members.

The union is accusing management of trying to fast-track the outfits featuring "midnight blue with silver sky lining."

Last October, during unveiling ceremonies at airport hangars across Canada, Ms. Dion wore the new blazer and skirt created by Montreal designer Debbie Shuchat, who expressed confidence that employees would be proud to sport the new look.

Air Canada and CUPE have never been overly concerned about being on the cutting-edge of fashion.

In the past, it took three years of consultation with managers to take a new uniform from the concept phase to everyday use.

This time around, Air Canada wants to roll out the new style within a year.

By April, the Montreal-based carrier wants staff to start wearing the uniforms on selected flights.

If the spring test period goes well, then the airline will introduce the men's and women's garments by the end of this year to 6,700 flight attendants and 2,900 airport counter staff, who are represented by the Canadian Auto Workers.

After this spring's test, "we have the option to modify the uniforms as appropriate," Ms. Cooke said, adding that management already has sought union feedback.

CAW spokesman Gary Fane said last night that his union supports CUPE's grievance.

It's not just the look of the clothes that has CUPE's uniform committee upset. They want more time to consider design, quality, durability and cost.

The cost for every basic uniform set is estimated at roughly $1,000. Air Canada has paid for dry-cleaning bills in the past.

A basic uniform set for women may include an all-weather coat, one blazer, one skirt, a pair of pants, two blouses, one belt and one scarf. However, many flight attendants choose to buy at least six blouses, adding to their costs.

"We never endorsed the uniform 'concept' as the final design. We were led to believe that we would sit down as a management-union group to develop a new uniform," Ms. Sachs wrote in her CUPE e-mail.

"But the company has set a relatively short, one-year timeline."

This latest management-labour scuffle at Air Canada underscores the need for the two sides to find ways to reduce friction in their adversarial relationship, said Triant Flouris, director of Concordia University's international aviation MBA program in Montreal.

"It goes beyond the uniform. This goes to the image and perception of the company," he said.

"I can see that the flight attendants want to be consulted, but why wait three years to do this? The Air Canada leadership is trying to show that it's not the old Air Canada that had financial problems."

Prof. Flouris said resentment toward management extends into the cockpit. Last month, for instance, the Air Canada Pilots Association filed a complaint with the Canada Industrial Relations Board, alleging that Air Canada chairman Robert Milton's new book about the airline, Straight From the Top, unfairly paints an unflattering picture of the pilots union.

GROW UP CUPE

There are approximately 100K unemployed airline staff in the US hoping to get back to work in the business they love...and you are worried about your uniform??!! icon_question.gifunsure.gif

This uniform thing is absolutely ridiculous. I'm in total dis-agreement with CUPE on this one.

And what is up with the Globa and Mail? How does a uniform situation at AC become one of the feature stories on its website. These type articles will not help the G&M become a world-class paper. Unbelievable how this is considered news.

Lost on the media talking heads is that all the grievances and incidents making headlines result for AC adopting a "not-business-as-usual" posture. The expense accounts, leaving work early, the uniform change being done in a year instead of three. The unions, like King Canute, resort to the grievance procedure or the illegal walkout but in the end, Air Canada gets at least half a loaf if not the whole enchalata. This is about power being exerted and being resisted. The unions feel their influence being circumvented. I'd love to see what the rank and file employees feel about the uniforms. I can understand the expense side of the union's concern. That's really the only part that makes any sense.

Guest rattler

I guess the question that needs to be answered is exactly when the former uniform was issued. If just last year then the FAs have a real bitch re the additional cost. Does anyone know???

From Ivanna Gabbalot at Open Jaw.

Excuse me, dahrlings, but…

Is It Airline Or Fashion? Jumbo On Runway One-9'er

Pumpkins, I'm dismayed to read Air Canada flight attendants are balking at the delightful number Celine Dion sported at the hangar party. There are concerns a tight skirt will hamper their working positions like adjusting under-seat luggage and reaching for blankets. Oh, zip it. Since when has personal comfort been a fashion factor?

Really. A body hugging skirt is just the thing to rekindle AC sales. I suggest the carrier also consider lowering trolleys to force a slight forward stoop for optimum rump display. And, if the top two buttons of the shirt are left undone, that extra-wide collar will serve to frame any cleavage to great advantage. [And, unless you’re a naturally gifted tight-ass like Celine, you have until April to get down to a size 2.]

There was a time it was perfectly acceptable, nay, expected, for flight attendants to be sex objects. It was a glorious era and it’s time someone rekindled the practice.

It’s the ideal strategy for luring back skittish business travellers whose natural airborne habitat has been down-graded to a green button, a bad joke and a bag of peanuts. Here’s to Air Canada for bringing the female form back to air travel!

In fairness to all, (lest it be said I am not sensitive to political correctness) I certainly hope male attendants are equally well-attired in form fitting pants.

cool26.gifcool26.gifcool26.gif

DAG, speaking as an ACPA member, I am embarrassed by ACPA's position on Milton's book. I did not believe that it was necessary to spend money dragging the issue into a labour grievance.

I have to qualify that a bit I think, because, on the other hand, parts of Milton's book did make me angry. I didn't agree with some of the commentary in the book. While I found parts of Milton's book interesting, I also found it self-serving for Milton.

There were two issues that stand out in the relationship he mentioned with ACPA.

He dissed ACPA and pilots with a highly exaggerated and unrepresentative example of pilot pay and working conditions. He made an extremely biased dig at a union he obviously dislikes a great deal. Milton talks of an unrealistic wage figure and days of work that do not represent the vast majority of AC pilots, and probably not most pilots at any point in their AC career.

The train-to-standard issue was also entirely misrepresented, whether or not the rationale of the example of the union leader was true or not (and I do not know). The train-to-standard was a reaction to some terrible situations that were occurring from about 1995/96-1998 and problems that management precipitated and mismanaged reference TC, and training pilots, time/volume issues, that were not one-issue specific.

Without referring back to the book (a few months since I read it), one other area that did not seem to be accurately represented, as I recollect, were his impressions of the 1998 strike. There were some obvious omissions in the book that glossed over parts that were probably embarrassing to management. Also, he conveniently did not mention much about the departure of Rovinescu, or Giguere.

I guess the question that needs to be answered is exactly when the former uniform was issued. If just last year then the FAs have a real bitch re the additional cost. Does anyone know???

I don't think AC issued any uniforms while under CCAA. Aren't the current ones Hollis Harris issue?

"Air Canada touted its first change in look since 1994 as good enough for the pop diva, with its tasteful design of blue wool-mix fabric and contoured lines."

Looks to be about 10 yrs if facts in article are correct.

DAG, speaking as an ACPA member, I am embarrassed by ACPA's position on Milton's book.  I did not believe that it was necessary to spend money dragging the issue into a labour grievance.

I have to qualify that a bit I think, because, on the other hand, parts of Milton's book did make me angry. I didn't agree with some of the commentary in the book.  While I found parts of Milton's book interesting, I also found it self-serving for Milton.

There were two issues that stand out in the relationship he mentioned with ACPA. 

He dissed ACPA and pilots with a highly exaggerated and unrepresentative example of pilot pay and working conditions. He made an extremely biased dig at a union he obviously dislikes a great deal. Milton talks of an unrealistic wage figure and days of work that do not represent the vast majority of AC pilots, and probably not most pilots at any point in their AC career.

The train-to-standard issue was also entirely misrepresented, whether or not the rationale of the example of the union leader was true or not (and I do not know).  The train-to-standard was a reaction to some terrible situations that were occurring from about 1995/96-1998 and problems that management precipitated and mismanaged reference TC, and training pilots, time/volume issues, that were not one-issue specific.

Without referring back to the book (a few months since I read it), one other area that did not seem to be accurately represented, as I recollect, were his impressions of the 1998 strike. There were some obvious omissions in the book that glossed over parts that were probably embarrassing to management.  Also, he conveniently did not mention much about the departure of  Rovinescu, or Giguere.

IKFU, I will add one more to this if I may.

Mr. Milton's stand on the issue of augmentation (not the female enhancements), is both sad and disconcerting.

His comment, that most pilots he has talked to would rather work than rest, is at best a fabrication.

The part I do not think he considered very well before writing is that scenario, where a crewmember who is overseas (to a lesser degree at home) has a terrible rest period for whatever reason, if anybody has done overseas they know this does happen from time to time with the changes to sleep patterns that we go through.

With the extra crewmember available, this is alleviated to a great extent when faced with a long day, the alternative (booking off due to fatigue) does not do anybody any good, but could be necessary.

I too, was not thrilled with ACPA and the stance on the book, but in defence, I will say that the hard ball stance they have taken with all parts of the relationship (including dealings with individuals), what is good for the goose . . . . .

Archived