Tsunami breakdown by country

Kip Powick

Breakdown by country

Associated Press

At least 114,758 people were killed in 11 countries in southern Asia and Africa from Sunday's massive earthquake and tsunamis, according to official figures.

– Indonesia: 79,940

– Sri Lanka: 24,743

– India: 7,330

– Thailand: 2,394

– Somalia: 114

– Myanmar: 90

– Maldives: 69

– Malaysia: 65

– Tanzania: 10

– Bangladesh: 2.

– Kenya: 1

Guest rattler

Pledges broken down by country. Some numbers appear to be very low but they are changing as we watch. Revised to reflect large increase in US Pledge....1312CMT

KEY AID PLEDGES

World Bank: $250m

UK: $96m

Sweden: $75m

Spain: $68m

China: $60m

France: $56m

EU $44m

Netherlands: $36m

US: $35m US aid increased to $350m

Japan: $30m

Australia: $27m

Switzerland: $23m

Norway: $16.6m

Denmark: $15.6m

Saudi Arabia: $10m

Taiwan: $5.1m

Finland: $3.4m

Kuwait: $2.1m

UAE: $2m

Guest rattler

Canada is up to 40 million, initially it was 6 Million and then the Feds added another 34 million...I think.

Kip: my comment was not directed against Canada. The US & Saudi Arabia do sort of stand out and for the wrong reasons....

edited....... The US now leads the pack in pledges.....

More on Canada.

DECEMBER 31, 2004 - 07:00 ET

Reminder/CIDA: Government of Canada to Match Donations

from Canadians to Tsunami Disaster

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Dec. 31, 2004) - The Honourable Aileen

Carroll, Minister of International Cooperation, announced today that the

Government of Canada will match on a one-to-one basis donations from

Canadians to the tsunami relief efforts.

"Canadians have responded with great generosity," said Minister Carroll.

"By matching donations, I hope that Canadians will give even more to

help the victims of this unprecedented disaster."

The Government will match donations made by individual Canadians to

Canadian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) already involved in

responding to the disaster. These include the Canadian Red Cross, CARE

Canada, OXFAM, World Vision, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders and Save

the Children. Donations will be matched retroactive to December 26,

2004, the date of the earthquake and tsunamis. The program will be

reassessed following the UN donors' conference which will take place on

January 11, 2005.

Matching funds will initially be drawn from the allocation of $40

million announced Wednesday by Prime Minister Paul Martin. The matching

will be based on proposals submitted by participating NGOs to the

international humanitarian assistance section of the Canadian

International Development Agency, in accordance with the regular

guidelines governing responsive programming in the area of humanitarian

assistance. Any additional funds required under the matching policy

would be made available from within the fiscal framework. There is no

ceiling on the amount of donations the government will match.

-30-

Alberta has now pledged 5million, BC 8 million and Ontario 5 million....

Guest rattler

Noted, but the picture is changing as we post. Here is the latest on what a group of countries, lead by the US are doing so I guess we will have to wait and see re the participation of individual countries. The reality will be that no amount of aid / money will heal the wounds of those who lived through the disaster.

Canada joins five-country coalition delivering aid to tsunami-hit area

at 11:14 on December 31, 2004, EST.

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada has joined a coalition of developed countries delivering relief to tsunami-struck south Asia.

Prime Minister Paul Martin pledged Canada's commitment to the coalition in a telephone conversation early Friday with U.S. President George W. Bush.

The United States initially assembled a four-country coalition with Australia, India and Japan, to co-ordinate humanitarian relief for the devastated region.

A spokeswoman for Martin says the group will work together - with the United Nations - to ensure rich nations are not competing against each other in the delivery of aid.

"The task will be quite focused to ensure . . . that all our efforts are complimentary and not competitive," the spokeswoman said.

During their 20-minute conversation, Martin emphasized the importance of the UN's role in relief efforts, she said.

"The president assured him and agreed that the U.S. feels the same."

At least four Canadians are known dead from Sunday's quake and subsequent tsunamis that struck a dozen countries from Thailand to Somalia. Dozens more are missing or unaccounted for. The overall death toll has passed 115,000 and is climbing.

Martin has also spoken about tsunami relief with Australian Prime Minister John Howard and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Sort of surprised that there is no mention of Iran (all that oil money), Lybia, Syria, Qatar, etc. You'd think that the Moslem countries would be raring to help their Moslem brethern in Indonesia. And the Saudis, UAE, Kuwait can give a lot more (again oil money). Of course if the west did not give any money they'd be screaming those infidels failed to help us again. sad.gifsad.gif

Guest rattler

Makes you realize how lucky we are to live in Canada.

Canada's greatest single disaster was the Halifax explosion of December 06, 1917. The French freighter Mont Blanc exploded after a collision and fire with the Dutch ship IMO. Death toll was 1,600 and over 9,000 were injured.

Sort of surprised that there is no mention of Iran (all that oil money), ....

Iran has oil but they are still a very poor country.

The Americans have decided that there should be no trade between Iran and anything to do with the USA. This has created all sorts of problems with getting proper goods and services into the country and getting the oil out.

The embargo extends to manufatured goods made in Europe that might have a small part inside that is 'Made in the USA'.

I have been there and if you put the politics aside and just look at the people. They are not well off.

Guest rattler

Saudis boost aid to wave victims

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia has increased its aid pledge for tsunami victims, after criticisms that Gulf states were not contributing enough.

The Saudi government has tripled its initial pledge of $10m to $30m "in view of the recent assessments of the magnitude of the tragedy".

It also launched a telethon on state-controlled television to raise money.

More than $3bn of aid has been promised to countries affected by the tsunami, including $85m from Gulf states.

The marathon Saudi fundraising event featured religious figures calling on viewers to donate, saying it was their duty as Muslims.

'Collective miserliness'

Arab governments, and the oil-rich Gulf states in particular, have been criticised for not pledging more for the victims - the majority of whom are Muslims from Indonesia.

The United Arab Emirates has pledged $20m, and Kuwait has increased its initial pledge of $1m to $10m.

Qatar has offered $25m, plus food, medical and logistical supplies.

The two largest international donors are Germany, which offered $674m, and Australia, which says it will give $765m over five years.

There has been public criticism from inside the Gulf states that their contributions are not generous enough when the region's huge oil revenues are taken into account.

We have to give them more; we are rich

Waleed Al Nusif

Al Qabas editor

"We have to give them more; we are rich," Kuwait's Al Qabas newspaper editor-in-chief Waleed Al Nusif told the New York Times earlier this week.

Lebanon's Daily Star newspaper accused governments of "collective miserliness in this hour of human need".

The most-watched Arab TV station, Al Jazeera, has announced its own campaign for donations, describing the comparative paucity of aid so far as "shameful" .

However, the Saudi ambassador to Britain, Prince Turki Al Faisal, denied his country's increase was a direct response to the criticism.

"The initial contribution [came] initially after the news came out, so the picture was not clear to anybody as to the extent of the devastation," he told the BBC's Today programme.

"Once that picture became clear, it was decided to treble the contribution," he said.

The Saudi donation was not insignificant, and it outclassed the UK's offer of $96m "in terms of GDP and population numbers", he added.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/midd...ast/4151241.stm

The New York Yankees 2005 payroll is estimated to be at 220M. Puts a weird perspective on everything... sad.gif

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting a bit of a creepy feeling about the notion of comparing who gives how much, like it's some kind of competition!

It's all getting to feel just a bit too much as well.... I can imagine seeing horror stories appear sometime in the not too distant future, about abuses and the funneling of some of all of this well intentioned money to the wrong places... and the ramifications for future needy victims of other disasters.

To their credit, the Doctors Without Borders said they didn't want any more money the other day... One of their rep's said they couldn't use any more of it for what it was being donated for, so please stop.

Money can't fix everything.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting a bit of a creepy feeling about the notion of comparing who gives how much, like it's some kind of competition!

It's all getting to feel just a bit too much as well.... I can imagine seeing horror stories appear sometime in the not too distant future, about abuses and the funneling of some of all of this well intentioned money to the wrong places... and the ramifications for future needy victims of other disasters.

To their credit, the Doctors Without Borders said they didn't want any more money the other day... One of their rep's said they couldn't use any more of it for what it was being donated for, so please stop.

Money can't fix everything.

Actually, I don't mind. And I don't mind corporate donors getting a pat on the back either. It's competition of a good kind, and maybe a bit of strong-arming as well, but the cause, and the potential benefits beyond relief aid - like a bit of reconciliation between races and religions - would be well worth it. The Saudis are stingy, no matter what they say. They are making money hand over fist from high oil prices. A disproportionate amount of that wealth is going to a decadent elite. I don't mind embarassing them.

...The Saudis are stingy, no matter what they say. .....

If the Saudis had any compassion, they would realize that their country runs on manual labour provided by Indonesians.

But then, the Saudis treat the Indonisians like crap when they are in SA anyway.

Guest rattler

Not only the Saudis. The attitude is common to most if not all countries who use the very cheap labour from Indonesia etc. A few years back I was in KL and the subject of how people drive and the lack of attention paid to pedestrians came up. Our local contact said that it was not really at bad, around 100 a day but since they were mostly imported cheap labour, the void was filled by the next day..... Sad world that we live in!!!

mad.gif

Archived