Teamsters trying to unionize Westjet FA's

CanadaEH

Uh huh......oh, by the way, WJA had a 3rd quarter operating margin higher than Jetblue, Southwest and Air Tran.

Oops...but all WJ's numbers are pure fabrication, aren't they? You'd better run to the Securities Commission with your evidence, bummerdud. It better be good because it's past the scrutiny of the US Gov't, KPMG, ING and 10 investment banks, not to mention the Board of Directors, which include the CEO of a bank and up to a couple of months ago, a senior executive of one of the largest pension funds in North America.

But we belieeeeve you...bummerdud, we realllly do.........

Meanwhile, the money is in the bank, corporately and individually, job security is better than AC ever had, and WJA's costs are half of AC's. Prognosis: excellent.

How are the Buggywhip Workers responding to your union drive. You'd better insist they shut those automakers down so they can increase buggywhip production.....

By the way, I woudn't have expected a union leader to have been able to spell "capitalism" correctly....

What is that you think unions are about?

As to my earlier question whether you like them or not how would your day to day ops be affected?

Between you and I this is not a debate just a conversation to share ideas.

For your info I wear my ALPA pin with pride, not because it represents a union but rather a solidarity between aircrews worldwide.

Regards,

60N30W

I was a Teamster pilot (as well as PSAC & CALPA) and the reason I'm against it is that the Teamsters did absolutly nothing for us (Inter-Canadien) but collect dues. It is nothing but a mild form of extorsion (since you can't get rid of them easily once they're in).

Unions are an industry unto themselves with interests limited to increasing membership and thus more money to themselves. Hense the connection to organized crime. CALPA was useless but at least they (sort of) had the interests of the membership at heart.

Go ask a Teamster rep (for laid off Jazz F/As) why they don't file for common employer with Zip?

Might be becouse in the numbers game it would be a CUPE shop and they'd lose those precious dues.

I still carry my Teamsters card to show WJ F/As and talk about union benefits. I bet I'm reaching more F/As then the local Union organizing goon.

Guest Operation Bomberclad

So glad we could continue our conversation, Simcoe. But please, your happiness and milk of human kindness is only exceeded by your generosity.

On the other hand, someone needs to tell you this to your face: You have all the intellectual rigour of kicking at a dead dog and so does Klyde! My my how you people do get your jollies Your manhood is very apparent to us, please exercise your machismo one more time for our benefit!

What's the matter, has the evil empire extended outside the mothercorp gulag to include the man in the street? I guess staking your entire future in one cyclical stock has turned you into a paranoid scrooge.

Hope you like eating numbers because that's all you'll have to feed a family one day. Yes, those were the days, and wow! Did you see how high the graph was before the bottom fell out?

:[

OB

Hey Maverick, thanks so much for your endorsment of flight attendants in the industry it totally captures the sentiment of pilots at your company and how they feel towards their own co-workers. It also proves my point of priviledge.

I am sure Wetjest F/A's who are reading this right now will concur with any other F/A that such an attitude is pervasive, normally referred to as being a dick. Just one of the reasons F/A's organize. Congratulations, you proved my point!!!

Also, you gave me just what I was looking for, an elusive wage comparison so that anytime the company compares us with Wetjest and wants to lower our wages, that we can turn around and ask for a raise! Yay! You have helped us out!!

My work is now completed!

Have A Nice Week, I Am Sure There Will Be A Few Questions To Answer At Work

and

Thanks Again!

OB

Bummerdud....sorry to disillusion you, but like most prudent investors, I've got enough cash salted away that I haven't needed to work another day in my life for three years now. Call it the Freedom 45 plan.

I'll bet you can't say the same.

I fly for fun now. I'd never have been able to do that if the likes of you and your buggywhip gang had "represented" my "interests" like you did with the C3000 gang and as you are doing today.

If shareholders do well, I do well because I'm a shareholder and so are 85% of my colleauges. The executive at Westjet are shareholders as are the Board Members. Most of them have done very well and have a huge financial stake in the company.

If AC's executive and Board had been in the same position, you probably wouldn't be bankrupt today.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to get rich is to emulate what rich people do. Wealth is not made from salaries. It's by taking an ownership position. WestJet affords me and all Westjetters that opportunity and has done so for 7 years now, inspite of pathetic, chicken little naysayers like yourself. Why, even 6 months ago, people like you were saying that the jig was up at Westjet. Now, the airline has the highest operating margins in the business and is investing in the future with LiveTV, Winglets, more legroom etc to make the margins even higher next year. Higher margins means more profitsharing and a higher stockprice, whereas you and your ilk will still be quibbling about a 2% pay raise and whining about the good old days of $3,000 trans con fares.

Are you better off now than you were 7 years ago? More job security? I don't think sooooooo..........

I imagine you shovel in more than your fair share of Kraft Dinner as you leaf through your thesorus crafting your responses, in between worrying what's going to happen to all the dough you pumped into the pension plan and how you are going to spend your 2% pay increase every year.

Keep on writing though. Anyone with a brain wouldn't want to have anything to do with the likes of you and what you represent and having a brain is a prerequisite of joining the Westjet team. For evey one we hire, we turn down sixty.

Well, Simcoe one of the lucky people who go from rags to riches to rags. I am sure you will be walking the street one day panhandling for drinks and involving just about anyone you can into how great your stock value once was.

But your despicable attitude to people who you see as your "lesser" in life totally proves my point about how culture of priviledge is as much of a poison as a lazy work-to-rule union culture.

Keep up with the elephant talk. It makes you look bigger. We are entertained.

OB

If the AMEs look down at the F/A's like that then the pilots do. Still totally proves my point.

OB

It proves absolutley nothing.

The teamwork between pilots, F/A's, CSA's and AME's at WestJet is real. There is real respect shown, and not just lip-sevice.

Frankly, I think you are doing your best to try and stir up a bit of hostility to aid in the teamster dive. You aren't very good at it.

As usual, Francis, you've missed the point. I never meant any disrespect towards flight attendants, however IMO, it is an extremely difficult job that makes the vast majority of long-term FA's extremely jaded. This is not good for the long term prospects of any carrier as the FA's are THE front line. The same logic can be applied to station attendants. This is another job that is so punishing on the body that it, as well, was never intended as a career. Look or ask around to see what a 25 year station attendant's knees are like and how many are legitimately crippled from crawling around the pits. There are exceptions in both jobs, of course, but at the end of the day these jobs should have been used as stepping stones not the ultimate destination.

You also mentioned that you make only a bit less than a first officer. That again, in my opinion, is madness. These guys (pilots) go through hell to get where they are, usually at great peril to themselves, slogging 45 gallon drums of gas in Inuvik and other god-forsaken places.

And remember, violence towards others never solves anything. Haven't you taken Jazz's anger management program? :D

Typical union "kill the rich" mentality.

I'm all right, Jack....

Profitsharing cheques in a couple of weeks.

What's yours going to look like? Probably not that good, eh, given the Observer notes AC has lost a further $400m since April, during the best 6 months of the year, even hiding in CCAA.

Guess what's going to get cut again once the new owners take control of the company? You got it, Pontiac. AC wages and benefits. It's only just begun.

Meanwhile, the stock is up 620% since the IPO. 71% this year. Kind of beats a union negotiated 10% decrease, bummerdud, doesn't it.

Money in the bank.

How's your pension looking? It is a mathematical certainty the fund will run out before you get your grubby hands on it, bummerdud.

Yes sir. WJA needs a a union like it needs a bad dose of the clap.

LOL

Guest Patrick Bergen

I hear what you are saying. The only thing is that about 3 weeks ago he was claiming "his friends at WJ" were looking up whether a passenger had been on a flight or not. I agree that following this thread leads one to believe that this person works for WJ. Would be nice for Simcoe to confirm it.

If you do a search of his posts, on June 12 he was quoted as saying this:

It gives me a nice warm feeling knowing that I've given up a great deal of income so I can personally subsidize management's continued stupidity.

The fish stinks from the head down at AC. Until it gets lopped off, we're headed towards liquidation.

Bragging about $12 fares, or $35 from YHZ-YYZ is the height of stupidity. So what if jetsgo fills up at these fares. It's peak summer. Everyone will be full. Let Jetsgo fill up at Leblanc's fares. He's going broke too, just like Intair and Royal.

Have you noticed that everytime he gets close to actually having to add equipment and pay the expense of flying it, he announces more new aircraft / routes? It's called cash flow. Use tomorrow's bookings for flights on aircraft you don't have to pay todays bills. He'll announce more in September to cash flow through Sept, Oct, Nov and early December. Cash flow is not the same as profit, gang.

So, who knows?

Well in the first place Maverick, if you hadn't threatened me with violence on this forum previously, then your nuts would be quite safe.

Of course, your backpeddling now demonstrates you have no appreciation for F/A's and you look on the job as a lesser task. While you condemn F/A's on the one hand, you boast about their wage.

OB

Archived