AC Seat Sale

Guest Sanders

Oh well ... paranoid ... German Empire ... bell bottoms ... whistling past graveyards ... ghosts and bitten asses ...

I actually respect your postings, altho' that's clearly not reciprocated. Thanks for the rational, tho' not compelling 2nd paragraph, but I don't think I deserve the rest of your crap and it's drowned any inclination to reply - probably fine with you - so, please excuse my errantry.

IFG :S

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno but it seems to be working OK for carriers in the UK. (i.e. Easy-Jet)

I would think that anyone who has any kind of a reason to be anywhere would like to have at least two weeks advance confirmation of their travel plans and purchase their tickets accordingly. This peace of mind must be worth some kind of a premium. The airline covers cost based on advanced bookings and then the rest is just peaches and cream.

Open minds make for broad horizons.

GTFA

Airlines also leave a number of seats available in the days leading up to a flight for business passengers who do not book in advance, but require flights on short notice and are willing to pay a premium for it. The trick is balancing the discounted seats with full fares, ie: you don't want a flight leaving with empty seats, but you also don't want to have every seat discounted because then you're missing out on full paying passengers. As Dagger and others have pointed out numerous times, the yield per seat is largely irrelevant; it's maximizing the total revenue per flight that's important.

Understood.

But I think what I am looking at is two different philosophies on how to a) fill seats, and B) make profit.

Does one work better than the other? Would one work in a certain market where another would not?

Has an airline in Canada considered the Easy Jet pricing model? If so, why did they choose not to use it? Fear of the unknown, or substantiated evidence?

GTFA

I'm not sure I understand your question(s), nor do I understand what 'pricing model' you are referring to. A quick check of EasyJet's website states the following:

"...The way we structure our fares is based on supply and demand and prices usually increase as seats are sold on every flight. So, generally speaking, the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare will be. Sometimes, however, due to market forces our fares may be reduced further.

Our booking system continually reviews bookings for all future flights and tries to predict how popular each flight is likely to be. If the rate at which seats are selling is higher than normal, then the price would go up. This way we avoid the undesirable situation of selling out popular flights months in advance..."

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/about/aboutourfares.html

They also have a pretty little diagram explaining how many seats they need to sell to cover each type of cost for anyone that's interested :D

Dagger i enjoy your posts but sometimes i have to laugh ! Only you can put "spin" on Tango and make it sound like a success story after it failed miserably in the open market only to dwindle into a dwarf star that Air Canada now calls a "fare structure"

"Tango rates, and the Fun category which is simply Tango-plus...." yadda yadda yadda simple simple simple

Had to laugh this time Dagger....

Cheers !

You are incorrect Robert, there is no official requirement for a '37 endorsement. We hire for attitude and skill, with emphasis on attitude. I have seen it a number of times where an employee working at another carrier makes a flippant remark such as: "If it gets bad enough I'll just go work for WestJet" nothing makes me see red more than this kind of attitude but it has been prevalent at AC in the past. I am not saying you have or don't have this attitude but just 'cuz you worked on airplanes for 20 years does not nessecarily make you WestJet material.

Archived