ALPA-ACPA

milehighclub

I guess it's a bit early to offer any congratulations, but after following this ummm ... ahhh... debate(?) for the last few years, I'm sure relieved to hear that much progress has finaly come about!

It may not be much, but ya sure cain't make a deal if y'ain't talkin'!

Glad to hear it.

Good luck to the lot of you

Mitch

Guest Rob Assaf

Should probably read "is there any time left?"

Hi Mitch,

While it is nice to see the opportunity for talks between the 2, or 6 groups, depending on how you look at it, is there really anything to talk about?

I don't think that there is much point in fooling ourselves that even if we came to an agreement in record time deciding how WE would divide the flying up, it is at this point in the hands of the creditors and whoever finally finances what will become of this company to decide. Our opportunity to do this is long past I'm afraid.

Will Jazz even be owned by whatever AC becomes? Maybe only partially owned, majority or minority? Who knows? We don't have access to the plan yet, but I suspect that our input is going to be severly limited as to what the final produce looks like. I think it is going to be more of a "we get told how it is" rather than "telling them how it is." It's pretty much impossible to have a combined merged list with seperate companies.

Should we go ahead and meet with ACPA? Sure, why not, if nothing more than some fence mending gets done, at least something will be accomplished. I just caution anyone at the regional with high hopes of a flow through to mainline not to get your hopes too high and any mainline folks with hopes of jobs at the regional till they get recalled at mainline, same.

In the CCAA enviroment, we have little if any bargaining power with whomever controls the company, and in the event that AC is broken up into various division to be run seperately, ie ramp and counter, tech services, jazz, etc. any great plans we make may be nothing more than that, great plans, but too late.

Do I have any high level information that says that Jazz is to be sold? No, but it is constantly referred to in company newsflashes as being a possibility post CCAA, so take that for what it's worth.

Good thing I thrive on stress! Cheers, Rob

Sure they will talk but I would not be surprised if they get absolutely nowhere. After all, if I was an ex-Canadian pilot bidding with my new and much improved senority number, wouldn't you want your negotiating reps to stall? I sure would. Heck, I'd stall until the very last minute. Sure it may cost the company money in retraining costs but it seems to me that this is not even an issue in these talks.

I want a FAIR resolution to this, as I'm sure we all do. But let's step back and look at ourselves and what we do as pilots. Regardless of your senority, reduced quality of life (from a pilot's point of view), even the reduced paycheques, the job is still better than what the majority of your neighbours are doing. (assuming they work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday 20-25 days a month. That's 160 -200 hours a month). We don't come close to those numbers even if we added the duty hours up not just the flying credit.

Now I know that the pilots on furlough will not agree with me, I don't blame them, but I'm sure when they are recalled, the majority of them will come back to their flying job if they have not been flying during the furlough.

Even in the bottom half of the senority list, the quality of life is not that bad. (it is if you compare it solely to the rest of the pilot group) but if you compare it to ALL jobs out there, you will find that you still get more time off than most other professions.

If you venture outside of the box, I'm sure you'll realize just how good life in the box really is.

So if progress is made with this round of talks, great! But I wouldn't bet on it.

AV8tr....

You have the ALPA groups confused. This thread is about the regional pilots (Alpa) and the mainline pilots (acpa) talking about Rj flying, flow through, and possibly how to avoid ruining the professional any more than we already have.

The other ALPA/ACPA story is the mainline merger to which you refer. Yes it was in the ALPA pilots best interest to do absolutely nothing during the MEC phase of this saga, the whole thing will now be thrown back to man who made al this possible...Mr Lordon, he can then finally make a decision.

Cheers

Is there really so much going on right now that we can't keep track of it all?

Me thinks that there are more than one processes under way that will have an affect on a person's bidding in the near future. Pilot or otherwise.

Keep your eyes open folks. Good call RJP!

GTFA

You're not suggesting that Mr. Lordon tried to toss the smoldering potato back to the union(s) to sort out, are you? And that after a brief microwaving it was volleyed back? Sort of like those war movies where they're tossing a live grenade back and forth at one another. Who, in the end, is holding the mother when it goes off?

Fire in the hole!

neo

Archived