Excess baggage charges

Guest pitstacker

Guest pitstacker

Horizon Air effective Oct 1 will be charging it's pax $25 US for any bag weighing 50-70lbs and $50 for any bag weighing 71-100lbs. With the increasing amount of overweight bags and the injuries that go along with them, I think this is something AC/Jazz should definitely implement. This would be a great way to recoup costs associated with delivery of bulkout/lost luggage too.

Interesting though PS,

One question, does WJ have a similar policy? If not, forget it. I really don't think pax need another reason not to fly AC right now.

Cheers,

Most of the US carriers reduced their free baggage allowance to 50 pounds within the past year.

Here's a sample:

http://www.aitvl.com/baggage_rules.htm

Below are the current allowances for WestJet and Air Canada...

WestJet:

* Each fare-paying guest can take two (2) pieces of luggage not to exceed 155 cm (62 in) per item (length + width + height). Maximum weight is not to exceed 32 Kilograms (70 lbs) per item.

* Excess checked luggage: An excess luggage fee of $25 (plus tax) will be applied at the airport for any bag exceeding any of the following conditions: larger than 155 cm(62 in), but not greater than 200 cm (80 in) in dimension; heavier than 32 kilograms (70 lbs.), but not over 45 kilograms (100 lbs.) in weight; and excess of the 2 piece free luggage allowance. Excess luggage fees will be assessed per condition (i.e. if the item is overweight and oversized, it will be charged twice).

Air Canada:

* Air Canada and its regional carriers allow each customer to bring along two pieces of luggage which is carried in the baggage compartment of the aircraft at no charge. This is known as the 'free checked baggage allowance'. The overall measurement of each piece (L + W + H) must be less than 62 inches or 158 cm, and the weight less than 70 lbs. or 32 kgs.

* Basic Excess Rate Table:

Canada Short Haul $25 CAD

Canada Long Haul $75 CAD

United States and Mexico $75 CAD / $50 USD

Guest M. McRae

Not sure how the surcharge for pces over 50lbs will improve safety. Someone will still have to lift / move the pce. Safety would only be improved if there was an outright ban of any pce. weighing in excess of 50lbs + a charge for pces over the fee baggage allowance (of course the extra pces would have to be under 50lbs each). IMO

Guest M. McRae

Not sure how the surcharge for bags over 50lbs will improve safety. Someone will still have to lift / move the pce. Safety would only be improved if there was an outright ban of any pce. weighing in excess of 50lbs + a charge for pces over the free baggage allowance (of course the extra pces would have to be under 50lbs each). IMO

An friend of mine recently travelled on either A/C or United, I'm not sure which one.

He had two hockey duffel bags plus a suitcase. He was charged $400 for the extra luggage.

It would be nice if we just stopped losing the custumers luggage.

Having excess baggage as a rule under this contract stuff, I am greatful to AC, BA and other carriers who, once made aware I am a pilot travelling on a company ticket and personally liable for excess charges, waive their charges on an individual basis.

"Good on ya!" to all concerned.

Archived