Serious question

Guest yyzfreak

You did say "all of you" right?....

First, before I answer, tell me if you can, what makes you ask that? Have you somehow gotten the impression that all those here are arrogant shmucks?

Or have you just had a close encounter with a large aluminum monster, with a big fat pilot barely lifting his nose above the glareshield to see whether or not he's makin' anyone wait to see his ship hit the earth?

If the former, I think you're wrong... if the latter, Damn, don't ya hate it when that happens?!

:D

YYZFREAK,

It's pretty hard to answer a question when we don't know what question you're asking. If you could elaborate a little we might be able to understand where you're coming from, and possibly where you're heading with the question. At that point we might be able to formulate a reasonable response. (Did somebody get cleared to land and you get told to extend your downwind while doing touch and goes in your C150 or something?)

I'll take that question, Frank.

The vast majority of us feel we're the only airplane in the sky because we have it hammered into us from Training Day One: "Never watch out for other aircraft!" We're told to disregard the regulations that govern right of way in the sky and on the ground. On the rare occasions when someone, somewhere else in the world is airborne at the same time we are, we're instructed to land at the nearest suitable airport and contact the CASB.

What's more, those of us not too consumed with gazing at ourselves in the full-length cockpit mirror never hear other aircraft on the radio either, so it supports our belief that all aeronautical facilities are at our sole beck and call.

For those in the commercial end of things, time and distance are never factors. We're never fighting to keep a schedule, to save those $100 per hour minutes, or just to get on the ground after a 12 hour flight. I'm convinced that the absence of these pressures simply reinforces the conviction that it's All About Us, And No One Else.

We bypass security like diplomats. We have positions for life in jobs with guaranteed raises. We're home every night with our families, sleeping like innocent babes. In short, we're spoiled, coddled aristocrats. When you combine all those compelling facts with the pilot's propensity to believe in his or her God-like nature, well... is it so difficult to see why we think we're the only thing in the sky? And that even if we weren't, we wouldn't care?

neo

Guest leftbase

Beauuuuuutiful.....now we just need "Nancy Ann" or someone to rise to the challenge and write some controller satire...I don't think yyzfreak could do it, he/she's probably too busy watching that fine piece of cinema, "Pushing Tin", for the 14th time....

Guest yyzfreak

I'll bite...

Why would six crews on six separate flights, flying for the same airline, flying into the same airport for the a.m. curfew, all expect to land on the same runway at the same time? Can they possibly all be #1 and I just didn't realize it? Perhaps 1 or more of these chaps is flying this leg for the first time... is unaware that the same thing happens day after day after day ad nausium? Then again, what about the other stragglers? Has FDX ever checked in saying that "the box shows us touching down on the hour"? Oddly, no. It is painful to me, sincerely, to issue vectors/speeds to any of you, when you are all quite obviously #1. Now quit interrupting me, I'm trying to watch a movie.

Freak

Enjoy that movie.

Billy Bob Thornton, John Cusack, Robert Carlyle, Cate Blanchette... I guess even they can't make a job in ATC look interesting. [ ;), honestly]

Guest fasteddy

I remember when they were making that movie..YYZ centre was used as a studio..here we were holding everywhere, vectors all over the place,and I thought it was traffic congestion...no it was some director yelling "CUT" how's that for a Serious Answer,to a Serious Question?? Cheers Ed

Guest fasteddy

And all that time we were being given holds and spacing vectors, not because of traffic congestion, but because some director yelled "CUT"...this was just a funny thought I had when I heard that the YYZ center was being used as a studio,not a slight against the fine controllers we have in YYZ, doing a great job everyday that I show up on their screens..Cheers to all,on the ground and in the air...an attempt to answer a Serious Question....with a not so Serious Observation

Agreed.

Might I add; the airplane manufacturers have been trying their hardest to tweak the efficiency of their products for years.

Now if only (some) airports and (some) airlines could succeed in doing the same, everyone would be a bit less stressed out.

Archived