Lessons for the aging AME

Mitch Cronin

Lesson number 396:

When you're trying to install locks on the rudder actuators, don't be hanging out of the bucket of the lift with your glasses in your top pocket!

Carrying glasses is a new gig for me... My eyes have always been better than the other guys... what most people could read at 20 paces, I could read at 30.... all of a sudden, a year or a wee bit more ago, I found myself unable to read the text on the plastic card I hang around my neck, without pulling it so hard the neck strap comes apart.

It floors me how quick that happened! It was really almost like one week I could read it, and the next week, my neck strap wasn't long enough.

I tried to fudge my way through.... but anytime I found myself intimately involved with some gizmos or bits and pieces of the not very large variety, if I wanted to discern the differences between the "comes off" and "doesn't come off" bits, I needed eye aid. I hate it! I can't even see my own fingerprints anymore without the help of these damned eyepieces.

Anyway..... I happened to be hanging out of a bucket on a cherry picker style thingy last night when something went sailing down to the horizontal stab... Damn! There sat my glasses case... I managed to flip a piece of rope over them and drag them to the edge so they'd drop to the ground.... and now, they're sporting a battle scar on the bottom of the left eyeglass.

Why does getting older have to include deterioration of the most essential things? My ears are getting pretty bad too... but I can work with that... my eyes?... dangit, when I stand under the cowls with no way to back up from the stuff I'm supposed to be looking at, these flippin' eye glasses are mandatory!

....oh well... I guess the thing to look forward to is the memory fading... that's when you never know how good things were, so you don't miss it, right? cool.gif

Lesson number 396:

When you're trying to install locks on the rudder actuators, don't be hanging out of the bucket of the lift with your glasses in your top pocket!

Your own damned fault. Get a "granny chain" and put the specs on them and the chain around your neck.. (then send a picture). Actually might make you look distinguished and wise....and gawd knows, those are attributes you desperately need. tongue.giftongue.gif

Ah, welcome to your middle age Mitch, I too now sport the specs, can not see a damn thing with out them.Isn't it amazing how one day you can spot a flea on your pooch from across the room and the next day you can not tell if that is the pooch or the coffee table, no one ever told me my fourties would hurt this bad, I wonder if you can get a refund on life. biggrin.gif

FYI Mitch,if you damage your glasses while performing your duties, the company will pay for new ones, I am assuming the ever so wonderful IAM did not give this away in the negots

Get a "granny chain" and put the specs on them and the chain around your neck.. (then send a picture). Actually might make you look distinguished and wise....and gawd knows, those are attributes you desperately need. tongue.gif  tongue.gif

Glasses on a "granny chain"... laugh.gif Yup, a picture is a must. Maybe while wearing one of those recycled FA uniforms... tongue.gif

Welcome to the world of presbyopics. We are all very nice people who squint a lot. biggrin.gif

ccairspace

It's not something the IAM could give away, because when you damage your glasses at work, it's Worker's Comp that pays for the new ones. Go see Bill Currie for the proper claim form.

And always, always, damage your glasses at work.

Your own damned fault. Get a "granny chain" and put the specs on them and the chain around your neck.. (then send a picture). Actually might make you look distinguished and wise....and gawd knows, those are attributes you desperately need. tongue.giftongue.gif

huh.gifdry.gif a "distinguished and wise" look?... Me?... laugh.gif

Naw, I doubt anyone would swallow that.

...still though... maybe there's some merit in the granny chain idea?

Thanks Robert and Conehead... I'll look into that.

Guest rattler

When wearing your "Granny Chain" just watch out for any rotating powered devices..... wouldn't want you to get drawn into your work.....

Gawd old age ain't a pretty thing.

Actually it is not a bad thing wink.gif Now the glasses...you probably just have one lens, no bi-focal.....wait for it... sure fun walking down stairs the first time you get them, and then comes prescription Dive Masks, sitting closer to the computer and TV screen.....but there are double coupon days at some stores for us...and all those cheap admissions and a bit of change every month from the Govt.....thanks to all of you for supporting us biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived