not only in Canada

Guest V1

Got to love this, seems like the Asper style is catching on.

"Passengers to sue airline over pilot's comments

Passengers on an internal flight in Brazil are suing the airline over "inappropriate" comments made by the pilot.

They say the pilot made them feel "scared and nervous" with his comments on a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Vitoria.

The Gol airlines flights was scheduled to take one hour but took more than five hours and ended up at a different airport.

Passenger Ari Vieira Augusto told Terra Noticias Populares: "When he announced we couldn't land in Vitoria due to bad weather, he said he had some good news and some bad news.

"The good news was that he had made a good take off and the bad was that no airplanes were being successful in landing at our destination, and he didn't explain anything else.

"He was crazy, irresponsible and a joker. He said we were 10,000 feet above ground, 46 celsius degrees below zero and that he wouldn't advise anyone to get out of the airplane without a heavy coat."

Passengers also told how the pilot insisted on trying to land at Vitoria even after he knew the conditions weren't good.

They say he got to within 200 metres of the runway when he suddenly turned away, terrifying the passengers. The plane went on to land in the city of Belo Horizonte after another hour.

Passenger Henrique Rebelo added: "At the end the pilot even had the nerve to ask if we were as dizzy as him because of all the turns he had to make!"

Story filed: 13:26 Monday 1st September 2003

Related stories:

Mooning theatre director refuses charity deal

13:12 Monday 1st September 2003

Waiter tried to rob his own restaurant

15:13 Friday 29th August 2003

More related stories

Check for more on:

Quirkies

Brazil"

It's nice to see that the suing mentality isn't only present in the States. Let's see, the plane came within 200m of the runway before making a turn. Funny, that's sounds a lot like a missed approach. The flight took more than five hours when scheduled for one? I sincerely doubt that they were in the air for five hours, and the fact that they ended up at another airport could have something to do with their alternate... And if airlines have to start worrying about being sued because of a little levity in the cockpit, then I guess Westjet better put some more lawyers on retainer. I hope the coffee they served on board was only luke-warm, otherwise there may be some more lawsuits in the works...

[chuckle, snicker, grin]...some folks just have no sense of humour eh?

Speaking of which... I'm having a wee bit of difficulty understanding how these are "related stories":

" Related stories:

Mooning theatre director refuses charity deal

13:12 Monday 1st September 2003

Waiter tried to rob his own restaurant

15:13 Friday 29th August 2003"

...unless maybe they're all found under "stories of human stupidity"?

I wonder how come nobody's tried to sue GWB for scaring them silly over the "axis of evil" business?

Guest Gino Under

Mitch

I'd say it's probably because an "Axis of Evil" actually exists and the World at large needs to deal with it.

Frankly, I'm amazed GWB was able to figure it out. Although I'm sure his advisors clued him in to the fact there is an axis of evil.

Guest JakeYYZ

My favorite……..

Ananova:

Namibia pilot 'told passengers to put clocks back 20 years'

An Air Namibia pilot is alleged to have told passengers to set their clocks "back 20 years" after landing at an airport in the country.

The pilot made the announcement during a delay in getting people off the aircraft at Hosea Kutako International Airport because they had arrived in "deep, dark Africa", it is alleged.

Air Namibia has launched an investigation into the allegation and said the pilot would be disciplined if he had done anything wrong.

One passenger told The Namibian the comment was "derogatory and had a racial tone".

The passenger added: "The pilot had no reason to burst out like that and his behaviour was unpatriotic. Why is he flying our Air Namibia anyway when he is not proud to do so?"

Story filed: 13:42 Thursday 23rd August 2001

Link: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_381490.html?menu=

Hmmm, well now we're into a whole different kettle of fish...

I suspect that those who you'd consider to be members of that "Axis of Evil", are religious extremists who happen to believe they're doing right by their God... which illustrates quite well why it is that so many have long ago decided religion and politics don't mix.

For the record, and just so I don't give you any room to confuse my stand, I certainly do consider many/most of their methods evil. I cannot understand how religious beliefs could ever bring someone to believe that the massacre of non-combatant civilians is anything but evil. But I do believe they somehow find reasons to think so. Unfortunately, it's precisely that kind of quandry that brings some of us to believe that entire religion is itself evil.... ?? But that can't be right... It's just the extremists.

So much blood has been spilled over so many hundreds of years "in God's name"... And yet religion is supposed to offer "morality". I reckon either the great flood was a failure, and "God" abandoned this planet in disgust long ago, or the likes of Darwin and the chaos theorists are right on the money.

I posted a reply, and like other times, I got an error when I popped the post button... Yet I can see my reply exists when I look at the thread in the bottom frame as I view your post, but not in the top frame when I look at the entire message index???

I guess even "cyberspace" has it's black holes and space/time anomalies. :)

Guest JakeYYZ

The slug that changed the world

by Stephanie Todd BBC News Online Scotland

The 26th of August marks the 75th anniversary of an incident which led to one of the most bizarre yet influential cases in legal history.

A dead slug found at the bottom of a drink in a Paisley café went on to shape the legal rights of consumers not just in Scotland but all around the world.

The case began when shop assistant May Donoghue and a friend met for an ice-cream on a Saturday evening at Frankie Minghella's "Tally café" in Wellmeadow Place.

The friend ordered a "pear and ice" for herself and paid for a ginger beer float for Mrs Donoghue.

After consuming most of her treat Mrs Donoghue was horrified to discover a partially decomposed slug as she poured out the remains of her drink from its brown frosted bottle.

She suffered from shock and later had to be treated for gastro-enteritis and later decided to take action against the café owner.

But Mr Minghella insisted that as Mrs Donoghue had not bought the drink herself, he did not owe her a "duty of care" therefore she had no grounds on which to base her complaint.

His only legal responsibility lay in providing that duty of care to the actual purchaser, not the consumer.

In a move without legal precedent, Mrs Donoghue decided to sue the manufacturer of the ginger beer, Paisley soft drink maker David Stevenson.

The case lasted four years as her lawyer William Leechman claimed that the slug must have crawled into where the bottles were being stored before being filled.

His argument centred on the fact that Stevenson had a "duty of care" to those consuming his product, even without a direct contract.

The case went all the way to the House of Lords, the highest court in the land, before Mrs Donoghue finally won her battle in 1932.

Lord Atkin, who ruled in the shop worker's favour, summed up the crucial question in the case as "the rule that you are to love your neighbour becomes, in, law you must not injure your neighbour.

"You must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which you can reasonably foresee would be likely to injure your neighbour."

He defined a neighbour as "persons so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought reasonably to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called in question".

Mrs Donoghue was awarded £200 in compensation - the equivalent of £7,400 today.

'Gie's a slug'

Perhaps more importantly, the principle of her win was established as a legal case study and has since been applied in every court action where a person suffers injury or loss.

In Scotland it is known as delict - the law of negligence and liability. In North America it is known as tort.

Millions of damages actions around the world now regularly begin with Lord Atkin's ruling in the Paisley slug case and its 75th anniversary this August is a landmark cherished by lawyers far and wide.

The case also had a knock-on effect on the local vernacular in the west of Scotland.

To this day, the expression "Gie's a slug (drink) ae yer ginger (lemonade)" can still be heard.

Paisley historian Ellen Farmer said the café building in Wellmeadow Place had been demolished in the 1960s but that that its legacy would remain forever enshrined in the law.

She said: "Before Mrs Donoghue brought her action, there was no real law to protect consumers. You weren't really able to sue anyone for anything.

"For all it is a bizarre story, it had a huge effect on the law worldwide. Manufacturers are now held much more accountable for the products they make.

"Few people outside the legal profession realize however that it all started because of one Paisley lady with a slug in her ice cream float."

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3001512.stm

Gino asserts that there actually is an "axis of evil" (and no doubt believes that "terrorists" and "patriots" are mutually exclusive descriptions) and you, Mitch, understandably look for the common denominator ---religion. The difficulty, of course, is that North Koreans, putative members of the "orbiting class", generally do not share the same religious faith as Iraquis.

Inclusive terminology such as "Axis of Evil" is intended to appeal to the masses; manipulation by language in anticipation that critical thought is suspended.

Hi UpperDeck,

Re: "The difficulty, of course, is that North Koreans, putative members of the "orbiting class", generally do not share the same religious faith as Iraquis."

Oddly enough, I wasn't even considering the notion that they'd be included in "The Axis of Evil"... Though no doubt, some do.

But you've got me and my inadequate education scrambling, trying to figure out what "orbiting class" means? On the fringes of? Orbiting the Axis? Not quite within the axis of evil?

The only Koreans I know would hardly fit that description, but North Korean politics are frightening. I think they just want to be damned sure no one interferes with them... Unfortunately, the very method of seeking that assurance may instead turn out to be what ensures interference will come.

I think what motivates them is pride, not evil.

Likewise, the "evil" in the Muslim world is only evil in the eyes of those who don't follow their beliefs... What's bizzare to me is that somehow, there are many within the Muslim faith that can read their holy texts and see justification for slaughter and horrors that others of their own faith would condemn them for.

I understand it was a Canadian writing a speech for GWB, who came up with that term, "Axis of Evil" (I can't remember who at the moment), and it was of course intended to paint a picture and help convince the masses that "war" was necessary.

Somethings that come out of the US government seem like they're all part of a script for a sci-fi movie written in 1952. Yet people soak it up...?

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch...forgive me. "Axis" (def); "line through the centre of an object, round which it rotates if spinning".

Yes. North Korea was one of those countries referred to by George Jr. in defining his "Axis of Evil".

What we deem as "horrors" many consider acts of bravery. Israel possesses not only WMD but weapons of pinpoint precision but these together pale in comparison to their greater strength; an historical rationale to justify any acts described as necessary to the preservation of the Jewish Homeland. How else does one rationalize Western acceptance of admitted tactics that differ not a whit from those practised by Nazis occupiers of France et al.? If the Nazis lost one soldier to the Resistance, then they destroyed a neighbourhood; killed the young sons of the accused community. And apparently, while "we" still extradite the accused 80 year-old murderers who operated as 19 year-olds in long-extinct camps, we join arms in legion with the President of Israel to exterminate "terrorists" defending their own dream of a "homeland". We watch the local news as yet another apartment is razed effectively evicting yet another household of Palestinian people and we say nothing because it is described as simply another battle in the war against "terrorism". And to make matters worse-----notwithstanding all of the irrefutable facts,we must (like Sgt. Schultz) profess to know NOTHING ---NOTHING!! less we be accused by the JDL and Jewish Congress of anti-semitism.

And just to make sure my point is not obscured----I believe that the Pakistanis who illegally over-stayed their student visas sould be deported forthwith regardless of their alleged terrorist associations and if they want to make refugee claims, let them do some from the US through which most entered Canada.

darn it, you're right. Instead of picking off these Humas dudes with missiles from Apaches, the Israelis should set off bombs in buses full of kids, like those brave 'freedom fighters' did in Jeruselem (sarcastic)last week.

I don't recall the French, Norwegion or Dutch resistance bombing buses of kids in Munich. No, they targeted the Nazi war machine, and payed dearly for it. The parellel is an insult to them.

Look, that whole situation is wacko, but (the Israelis) they're our wackos.

The DRK is a different ball of wax. Kimmy is certified, and he ain't "ours".

Archived