my compliments to Zip

Guest ah crap

Guest ah crap

Just came back from the ramp here in YXU. Zip had an MEL issue for us. Had a nice conversation with a couple of the cabin crew girls. Good atmosphere on board.

Zip is Air Canada's logical solution to securing a "cost efficient national carrier". ZIP will become the mainline's best asset in the post CCAA days. As you say, the employees are great too.

Ya, butcha fly little weed whackers from Chicken Scratch to the hubs and back... or to Barndoor and Secondchance... Not there's anything wrong with that, but you're a National Connector, or National Regional?... National Feeder? ... I like "National Connector".

Anyway, that's your role it seems, and it's as much a necessary part of the grand scheme as any other... Why not be happy sticking with it?

Guest wirepuller

always refreshing to get a call to look after Zip a/c. F/a's and pilots always friendly and appreciative of what you can do for them.God help them if they get A319's

Mitch

Trust me you don't want to go there :S

Besides it makes no difference to us anymore who flies the airplanes... Mainline or Jazz, ACTS will have the initial contract to do the maintenance :) and the latest catII rumour has ACTS looking into doing heavy on turbo props, so be careful the Dash 8 could be your next endorsement :D

Brett

wrench

Who said anything about the cost per hour being lower???? personally I think it's a bad idea, but the rumour is that ACTS is looking at doing heavy on turbo props....in YXU.... read into it what you want.

Brett

Guest ah crap

So ATCS wants our jobs? Get me to the Caribbean then. If they really want to take over there's probably not much any of us can do about it anyway. Time will tell.

Guest ah crap

Woops I take that back. I still want into the Caribbean but if ACTS really wants us bad enough they can start with the Haliban since they do heavy checks too. After the backbone is gone we should be easy to pick up ;)

As I understood it, the initial plan was that, ACTS would eventually supply all the maint for the Air Canada group, This was before CCAA and Transport mandating that the AO, retain it's own line maint.

Now it appears that ACTS will only do heavy (anything greater than an A check) and Jazz heavy will, at some point, be absorbed. (ie: merged with date of hire)

All this is at best speculation, and like everything else subject to change.

When ACTS took over Jazz heavy in YYC (July 7th 2002), they merged 300 people into AC with their original connector date of hire, for everything except pension.

Guest floatrr

"Anyway, that's your role it seems,"

Surely you must understand by now,that "the model is broken?" or, is that JAZZ's role just because "thats the way we've always done it?". Anyhow, big changes coming at the end of September, or it's bubye Air Canada. No?

AC will soon see and feel the benefits of over 2.2 Billion a year in reduced costs now through employee concessions and leasing agreements, I think they'll be around a while yet..

What big changes?

As for mainline and jazz, it’s a race to the bottom and unfortunately, I still do not get the feeling that the smart guys representing the majority are any smarter now than they were in the early 90s. See the same greed, the same tactics and likely, soon, the same results. Too bad.

Guest floatrr

Without any doubt,we will see the same results if there aren't big changes. All stakeholders and the judges will decide if the same old gameplan will still work. My prediction is " a liquid Air Canada ". Hope my prediction is wrong.

...I don't know much about broken models, but I would think there's a need for the kind of flying you guys do, and son-of-a-gun, we just happen to have a whole bunch of folks who've gotten pretty good at doing just that kind of flying, called AC Jazz.

On the other hand, we already have all sorts of folks flying 37's, 319's, DC-9's (sorry, MD80somethings) ... What would be the point in morphing Jazz to compete with that lot?

Seems to me that what you're into is a good thing and I can't see the problem with maintaining that role. If it's just because you wanna fly bigger birds, there's all the more reason to hammer out some kind of a deal with ACPA, (such as GDR's mutual BOTL proposal) so you guys can get onto that list and make the hop when the opportunity comes.

But what do I know?... I hear the robot sounding computerized voice repeating the words, "the model is broken"... Silly me, I thought that referred to the arrogant jumbo airline with 200 different fares and 2 levels of service for one ride.

"there's all the more reason to hammer out some kind of a deal with ACPA,"

Still don't get it, do ya. ACPA does not deal [at least not fairly]. It's their way, or the highway, even if it's at the expense of their junior ranks.

The worst quarter ever, the past one with SARS, mad cow, this that and the other, produced about a minus 5.5B.

AC will spend 2.2B less this year, that would, if carried over, translate to even, a great accomplishment.

Of course we are not losing 5.5 anymore, last figure I heard was down to almost even for daily ops. Don’t get me wrong, I am no huge Milton fan and I am not defending the current Jazz Mainline pilot agreement, but look around, big changes HAVE been made, perhaps just not the one you wish for. So as I say, I think we’ll get through this one.

If you predict other and choose to live your life hoping your prediction is wrong then who am I to intervene?

Guest floatrr

As usual Mitch,your response holds a certain light hearted entertainment value. As far as "the kind of flying you guys do" or "If it's just because you wanna fly bigger birds" you remember the 146's and the old F28 and what kind of flying it used to do, well you catch my drift. Good morning to you.

Archived