Grievance

Pivot

Ya gota love unions eh?

"CAW dismisses Air Canada executives' work at airports

KEITH McARTHUR 00:00 EDT Wednesday, August 13, 2003

The union representing Air Canada's customer service workers yesterday brushed off efforts by the airline's chief executive officer, Robert Milton, to pitch in on the front lines.

Facing its biggest customer service crisis since it merged operations with Canadian Airlines in 2000, Air Canada yesterday announced that executives and managers would "offer their support" to unionized agents at key airports across the country.

The Canadian Auto Workers union, which represents customer service agents, said it may file a grievance or take other action if managers infringe on union work....."

http://tsedb.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/WireFeedRedirect?cf=GlobeInvestor/tsx/config&date=20030813&archive=gam&slug=RAIRC13

I guess some people will never get it. What a moronic response to a potentially valuable gesture. Certainly seems to speak to the level of the relationship though.

For the record, RM (or RR, or even RG, or any of the top brass)is welcome to help us out (on midnights) any time he likes (under the direct supervision of a qualified AME of course).

Guest JazzMTC

Come on guys, they layoff WAY too much staff and then kindly say "we can help".Bring back some employees and admit they made a mistake.Unbelievable.Hey Mitch, what's the supply of O2 and N2 over at your bay. I just found out that we are ZERO stock of both and will not be receiving any till we pay for it in cash$$

"Sure as heck wasn't the unions" If I recall correctly, the CAW ratified a cost saving agreement that entailed a 10% pay cut for 2 months (June & July). The bulk of the cost savings were in the form of layoffs and work rule changes (read productivity improvements). Remember, this was negotiated by the CAW and approved by the union membership. So now that everyone is back to FULL pay, YOU are balking at the work rule changes and increased workload that YOU had agreed to. I would be interested to see the bookoff rate in YYZ amongst CAW members over the last week.

The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that this was the plan all along. Don't take a pay cut but negogiate job cuts instead. Once the cuts start, play silly bugger and force the company to recall/cancel the layoffs. The Union comes out smelling like a rose and management takes the blame.

Guest JakeYYZ

Isn’t service supposed to be at the customer’s convenience? In order to muddle through, it’s suggested that the client show up 30 minutes earlier than they would

have before and bring in managers to assist check-in. I don’t see that as much of a solution. Why would the customer choose AC over his other options if he has to arrive at the AP 30 to 60 minutes earlier? What kind of message are we sending here?

Errbus,

What “work rule changes (read productivity improvements)”and “increased workload” are you referring to? Yes, we agreed to the layoffs and so did AC. Management are the ones with the plan. They are the ones who should know what the minimum manpower requirement is…not us.

Never liked Gary Fane. Not good for his Union, not good for AC either, imo.

Having said that, with respect to the AC exec, does the saying “reap what you sew” come to mind?.. Robert Milton has been, and continues to be, his own worst enemy. I think a few more days with the real people may do him a little good.

Guest JakeYYZ

When the flick is somebody going to stand up and say -out loud- that this squinty-eyed Yankee &%$@! is incompetent? Couldn't run a flicking Jane and Finch corner store with a government-sanctioned crack cocaine license.

First thing he does is start a war with the pilots. Then....he buys Canadian Airlines at a price the World Bank couldn't afford. And it's been all down hill from there. Threat after godamned threat. Ultimatum after godamned ultimatum. Excuse after excuse. Hip little spin-off after hip little spin-off.

Give us a firkin' break Bob. Use the firkin' parachute will ya?

Be all that as it may, the bottom line is paying customers had to wait up to four hours to check in at AC in YYZ (according to the media) It is definitely the "managers" who decide staffing requirements. After all, AC has been in the business of operating an airline for many decades, therefore, no excuses for this fiasco.

Archived