AC Pilot makes the news....

Guest PortTack

Guest PortTack

Just heard now on CTV Newsnet that an AC pilot made a joke to a New York security agent about a bomb in his shoe.....that's all thats been said so far. With this hitting the news me thinks this fella may be in some deep doo-doo now.

Guest PortTack

NEW YORK (CNN) -- An Air France co-pilot was arrested Friday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport after he told security he had a bomb in his shoe, authorities said.

Phillippe Rivere, 50, a French citizen and co-pilot for the French national carrier, was scheduled to fly Flight 9 from New York to Paris at 11 p.m. EDT.

According to Port Authority spokesman Tony Ciavolella, Rivere was going through the security checkpoint when he said he had a shoe bomb. Port Authority Police were called and Rivere was taken into custody and searched, but no explosive devices were found, Ciavolella said.

Ciavolella said he did not know whether Rivere was joking.

Port Authority officials transferred Rivere to the Queens District Attorney's Office at 1 a.m. Saturday, where he was awaiting arraignment, Ciavolella said.

Rivere was charged with falsely reporting an incident in the first and second degrees, Ciavolella said. If convicted, he could face up to seven years in prison.

The flight on which Rivere was supposed to be the co-pilot was canceled Friday night, and police searched the plane, Ciavolella said. It took off for Paris at 10 a.m. Saturday.

Things in Europe aren't always treated in the same paranoid sense as they are in the States. I could picture this f.o. making an offhand comment when asked to remove his shoes, wondering why he is being treated like a criminal and not realizing how these security agents are just waiting for any opportunity to pin a pilot to the wall with the slightest provocation. What may seem obviously stupid to us may not be that way somewhere else. I just think it's a shame that we are treated like criminals. This guy's career is probably over now.

Guest PortTack

I went through EWR on a jumpseat and felt like I was violated!! The security person thought I had a funny bording pass...which I did for the jumpseat so I was placed in a different line. By the time they stopped searching I was almost down to my gonch while one guard was discussing the latest John Grisham book I was reading....sometimes its hard keeping your mouth shut but we just have too with this area after 9/11.

I understand your frustration, but with the ease of obtaining a uniform, and the amount of stolen ones, aren't you at least, a bit greatful, that everyone is subjected to the same security?

Even with my airside tag, (or maybe because of it) I've had to remove my shoes,belt etc... at various times, whereas before 9/11 if I was working, I was wavied through. So it's not just crew.

I've been working for the airlines for 16 years, and to the best of my knowledge, it has never been acceptable to joke about having a bomb in your shoe to security. In fact, LAX has signs up warning of the penalties for doing so (don't know about NY)

It's been almost 2 years,by now everyone should be aware that clearing security, can at times, be degrading,and until they retinal scans, or something like it, welcome to the new reality.

He should have kept his mouth shut, and then he wouldn't be looking 7 years in prison.

Unless you believe that the laws shouldn't apply to someone in a uniform ;)

I would wait before frying the guy,

Language difficulties might have been a factor, not to mention virtually all of the TSA I have encountered seemed to try to provoke me in some way or another.

An old Japanese guy got snatched in LAX after saying "You don't actually believe there is a bomb in my wifes purse do you"

Any sentance with the word bomb in it seems to be enough. If the French pilot said "There isn't bomb in my shoe" that probably would be enough to get him hauled away.

I've been waiting for someone to say that. Right on Super 80. It's easy to say the wrong thing sometimes out of pure frustration. I can feel for that old Japanese guy... I once tried to take my Mother for a tour of the hangar I worked in and the guard wouldn't let her through 'cause the Supervisor wasn't answering the phone... I said, "Right, so you think this old woman is a terrorist!"... she didn't get in.

If it turns out this pilot was just expressing his incredulity and frustration, and he gets any penalty at all, I reckon you guys should all stop flying instantly and force a fix to the madness that sees you all humiliated and treated like criminals.

I find the problem is these TSA lowlifes who were practically hired out of the trailer park for the first time in their lives are in a position of authority.

And they get off on pushing around someone in a buisness suit or a uniform. Or getting to grope a woman whenever they feel like it. A friend of mine got felt up at Logan last year by a TSA guy. She was ready to sterilize him with her knee... but didn't want to get shot.

The goon who got the AF pilot nabbed probably went back to the trailer park bragging that he got a cheese eating surrender monkey sent to jail.

I am currently reading a book called "Guns, Germs and Steel" it is about the evolution of human societies. But something tells me if I try to take it on a plane I will probably end up put on trial as a terrorist and secretly executed.

Guest M. McRae

Quote: And they get off on pushing around someone in a business suit or a uniform.

Thank God those of us who do not travel in suits or uniforms are safe! :)

Some of the folks doing security have turned into a good example of "absolute power corrupts absolutely" of course for some there is also the fact that "attitude results in attitude" ;)

I suspect we all have to just suck it up and live with it for now, but there is nothing wrong with written complaints when you feel that you have been treated harshly or inappropriately.

Archived