ATC Wages Move Ahead of Pilots'

Guest WA777

Guest q650

Yep, and to top it off, the Transport Canada CAI's have through the recent G. Adams been awarded very interesting wages as well.

q650

Guest q650

Yep, and to top it off, the Transport Canada CAI's have through the recent G. Adams Award been granted very interesting wages as well.

Transport jobs look better (pay and quality of life) than most airline jobs in Canada. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

q650

Guest WA777

I know that most of the young bucks do not understand the damage that has been done to the airline profession in Canada....Maybe someday they will realize just how hard some of us worked over many many years to improve things for everybody......sadly all the gains are being wiped out by those willing to sell themselves to the lowest bidder and unscrupulous mangement.......

Guest WA777

I know that most of the young bucks do not understand the damage that has been done to the airline profession in Canada....Someday they will realize just how hard some of us worked over many many years to improve things for everybody......sadly all the gains are being wiped out by shortsighted individuals, willing to sell themselves to the lowest bidder and unscrupulous management.......

Guest WA777

AC has its' own somewhat unique set of problems requiring appropriate sacrifices from all of its' flight crews.......however you can look at EVERY airline operating in Canada and see numerous examples of how collectively we have taken a giant step backwards......

Guest lupin

I am rather uninformed about how much ATC makes in the ways of salary.I had heard the top rate was around 85-90k/year??.

Its funny how the goverment workers can get the raises,while the entire airline industry is in the slumps.It almost seems as if they can't see what is happening around them.Air Canada being its largest customer ,is asking for cut from everyone ,suppliers, labour, lessors, creditors and lets not forget...NavCanada.

Pure goverment efficiency

Lupin

Guest floatrr

Correct, They are not government workers but they are a monopoly, and the government allowed that. I doubt the government put any kind of restrictions on how much they can be paid ,so I expect that we can see further rising NAV CAN charges despite the ailing airline industry. Yet another mess the federal government has created. Some consistency from those fools in parliament would be much appreciated. Cut one corporation loose (Air Canada) and let them fend for themselves (with restrictions ofcourse ie. Service to small communities for one.) Then cut another one loose (Nav Canada) and let them charge whatever the He11 they want ,even in a sick airline industry. Go figure!

Guest mars

Once again for those with bad memory: NAVCAN Board of Directors is controlled by the AIRLINES. They have gone out of their way since being created in 1996 to cut costs as much as possible for the user, predominately the airlines. Canadian ANS charges are very cheap for the service provided, and are still lower today then a few years ago. Like many professions in this fine Country, controllers are greatly underpaid for their service. Even with the new contract; and two arbitrators/mediators in a row have put that in their report. Enough for now, bedtime.......zzzzzzzz

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Costs are lower? I have three aircraft, two are single seaters and I am the only pilot insured to fly each one. Yet I have to pay NavCan't a fee for each one as though I use all three simultaneously.

Guest floatrr

The board is still responsible for the bottom line at NAV CAN regardless of where they are from. Do you think those individuals (from the airlines) really care how much their own companies pay for ATS? I think not. The fact remains is that NAV CAN IS A MONOPOLY the only difference now ATS is not resposible to the tax payers to the bottom line, therefore costs will eventually be out of control. Not that being resposible to the tax payers contols costs with this government anyway.

Guest leftbase

"I have three aircraft, two are single seaters..."

Gee whiz, I have an old Pontiac and a bicycle and I thought I was doing well...

;)

Once again for the "spin artists" Nav Canada is a GOVERNMENT manadated monopoly. They grap what they want from the taxpayers and the GOVERNMENT aircraft at all levels pay ZERO for the service.

So nice try but this fails the free enterprise test.Long live the Peoples Soviet Union of Canada eh!

If the airline representatives on the board truly do not care how much their companies pay for ATC service, then why was such a ridiculous amount of money rebated to the airlines in the first (and second, and third) place?

...."Someday they will realize just how hard some of us worked over many many years to improve things for everybody"....

...that's OAC at the expense of all others!

Guest Tri-spool

I agree. In fact it was the junior pilots who are getting waxed with layoffs while the big fat pensions are being retained. Nice job guys! Thanks for the layoff notice!

Maybe it isn't loathing; just a realistic perspective as to ACPA's "mission statement"---protect and advance the interests of its members however that might best be achieved. That function is not necessarily illegitimate but in its implementation, certainly will give offence to those whose employment is jeopardized as a result. Defcon has written at length about Picher. Implicit in his remarks is the understanding that AC pilots sought merger in the belief that AO pilots would be at the bottom of a merged list and, as a result, junior AC pilots would have the benefit of a buffer between themselves and layoff. Picher put a wrench in that plan and so......Obviously, the philosophical difference is between those who believe in employer-based loyalty and those whose fealty is to the "profession".

"Obviously, the philosophical difference is between those who believe in employer-based loyalty and those whose fealty is to the "profession"."

That's an interesting comment. I wonder if you'd mind elaborating on what you mean by it, and which 'belief' you assign to which group.

Thanks,

neo

I don't believe the concept is new. I'm suggesting that the "ACPA group" resolved that compliance with union rules (adherence to the principles of unionism) was a less compelling motivation than the perceived immediate benefit derived from re-defining their brethren from "airline pilots" to "Air Canada pilots"; hence my characterization of employer-based loyalty distinguished from professional fealty.

Archived