jazz fleet expansion ???

Guest Dash eight

Guest Dash eight

What are your thoughts on the possiblity of replacing the dashs eventually with all rj aircraft? Most of our D8s are gettting quite high timed now and seem to spend most of the year being rebuilt!

Thats what is going on with US Air and Northwest,It's a changing of the fleet time and time to change for the smaller market size as the mainlines are bleeding red so a shift is needed on the market,That is why Westjet is making money hands over fist and Jazz will to with RJ's in the right market with flexable work rules.

Guest Nigol

From what I understand, at one point JR wanted an all regional jet fleet. However, now he is saying that JAZZ will keep the turboprops. It's OK though, it may keep the layoff numbers low.

Guest Dash eight

The dash8s will be scaled back once the rjs are here and are running smoothly. how many other airlines operate a 20+yr old dash 8 fleet???

Guest Dash eight

Who are you talking to mitch me or wizard? If its me your asking then No smart guy I only have one identity here so have another (B)(D) or two.

Guest Airway

From what I hear, Jazz will always need the Dash-8 for the mountain flying in the west.

Aparently the RJ's would be much more restricted (weather + runway) than the Dash-8 in airports such as Castlegar.

These speculations are always interesting. My (disinterested) comment on the equipment for "mountain flying in B.C." might be that with a bankrupcy court involved nothing can be taken for granted. I assume, however, that the reorganized airline (if it survives) will be much smaller that the current airline.

They may decide that a single aircraft type is so important that they will not fly to airports where that type cannot operate. There is always Central Mountain Air.

No offense intended.

Oh great, more RJ's. This time lets make sure we have lots of parts, TRAINED CREWS, and LOTS of spare aircraft. How about we just get newer DH8-200's and -300's? No, we don't want -400's as it seems many other operators don't want them either. Just my thoughts.

Guest fasteddy

New jets = new costs through financing....how can you NOT make money with a fleet of PAID FOR DHC-8's ???? I guess I'm not a bean counter, but someone please tell me how we lose money operating a type that paid for itself years ago??

Guest Dash eight

Boy I never thought of that...

So does this mean that all the block check aircraft undergo this crucial work at no cost then?

Cmon like the 737s ...time to get rid of the higher time and more costly mtce wise aircraft...

Guest fasteddy

Of course it costs to block check...but from what I understand, several Dash's have been sold for a mere $4 mil apiece and leased back to us...now they are really worthless as they hold no collateral to the company...all they did was carry the company's loss one more day...

Guest fasteddy

and besides...I still like my old Dash - 8."works real good and lasts along time " famous words from my initial groundschool in 88...it still fits like a glove and has NOT let me down yet...I guess I'll be one of the last guys to fly her if she goes...NOT BIDDING OFF...NOT by Choice fer Sure!!!!

Me and you both bro.. Did my initial in 85.

Still haven't figured out how to return to earth with any grace :)

Guest fasteddy

Returning to earth with grace....I have discovered that landing with my eyes closed at the last few seconds can be just as good or better than eyes wide open!!!Cheers Ed...

Guest fasteddy

Returning to earth with grace....I have discovered that landing with my eyes closed at the last few seconds can be just as good or better than eyes wide open!!!Cheers Ed...

Guest CleardecksforACTION!

Have you seen last weeks FI? The EMB 170 et al. is extensively profiled, and as a common family of aircraft comes off as a winner from a common sense view. Of course once the politicos are involved, who knows?

Cheerio!

Guest Dash eight

Ah yes if ony we had a camera set up back then to record some of the landings of the "newhires" from llate eighties...
Boy look at their landings now!

Archived