AC Board creates 2b$ deficit

Guest manwest

Guest JakeYYZ

This is an outrage!!!

Airmail!! DaggerBoy!! ...quickly now...defend the honor of the BOD's

and Milty. The judge is obviously confused. I think we should demand

a human sacrifice. Mr. Frustrated can perform it and DaggerBoy can hold his head.

Sorry Jake the Snake. You won't find me defending this Board of Directors. They are, with two or three exceptions, just old bagmen and past-their-prime Bay Streeters. They departure is almost certainly guaranteed.

""Nothing focuses the mind more than the possibility of being hung in the morning," Judge Farley said.""

What a great line!!

It's been around for awhile, attributed to Ben Franklin, Oscar Wilde and several others.

Most commonly it reads "the prospect of being hung in the morning concentrates one's mind wonderfully"

I guess when you are a celeb you can use the word any way you want. Actually....from the dictionary... hung vs hanged

Usage Note: Hanged, as a past tense and a past participle of hang, is used in the sense of “to put to death by hanging,” as in Frontier courts hanged many a prisoner after a summary trial. A majority of the Usage Panel objects to hung used in this sense. In all other senses of the word, hung is the preferred form as past tense and past participle, as in "I hung my child's picture above my desk."

Language is meant to evolve, English could certainly be improved in many areas.

"Hung" is more efficient than "hanged". It also seems more in tune with other conjugations; sting-stung, ring- rung.

(((((When was the last time you had a "hanged start"? Or heard of a a "hanged jury?" ))))

Well OK, you asked...In this instance we are talking about the death penalty. You are now taking the word out of context, that is, the intent in the original quotation.

From Merriam Webster

Hanged is most appropriate for official executions //he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still alive -- Louis Allen.

From Dictionary.com

The use of hanged is preferable to that of hung, when reference is had to death or execution by suspension, and it is also more common.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.>

Mark Twain>

Yeah, you said that already- up where the thread changed to "quotes". My point was that language is dynamic and the meaning of words can change, sometimes subtlely, sometimes not. "Gay" used to mean happy. "Humongous" wasn't a recognized word. Language structure changes. How many people walk around spouting iambic pentameter these days?

Agree...why some people even try to change the language on their own...now you take the word "subtlety", some people want to change it to "subtlely"...oh man, I couldn't resist :>and you have to admit we have not initiated any dialogue about the major problem the "big" airline has and that in itself, is refreshing.:)

Hey..have a nice weekend.(B)

I wondered why the spell-checker spit it out. Should be a word, eh? ;-)

The weekend- boat's running fine, off to the cottage to get some work done. (Don't know how I got the long weekend off with my seniority!)

cheers,

Archived