WestJet Join the Club

Guest ace1pilot

Guest ace1pilot

Last week I heard WJ did not make it's first quarter expectations. Down 69% from last year. The stock is also starting to fall.

So the story begins.....Maybe in a year Clive wouldn't be smiling when he knocks on the CCAA door.

Since you brought up AC, how was their 1st Quarter? Oh that's right it has been delayed so as not to upset the creditors. Since it looks so good on Clive why don't you speculate how WJ's 1st quarter will compare to ACs. The difference being WestJet was very profitable when times were good now just profitable. AC makes a very small relative profit in boom times and Hemorrhages in bad.

What is this all about. At least they were still profitable in a period where very few others could do it.

I give full marks to the people from Westjet on here. I think that they have been pretty compassionate towards the AC people in our current circumstances. I haven't seen very many remarks rubbing our noses in it.

I would like to relate one thing that I thought was in very poor taste. AC had just recently filed CCAA and WS were launching their YULYYC service. A certain WS employee came to the AC HQ and pulled out a Westjet flag and held it up in front of the building and tried to coerce a number of AC employees to pose behind the flag with the AC emblem in the background. I don't begrudge anyone having fun with their job but I found this to be very out of place given the timing and circumstances.

Guest James

Whoa, my son.

No doubt, it's been a tough couple of years for all of us, and I don't wish any ill feelings to anyone who has been affected by all these happenings; I've been there a couple of times myself.

Overall, I think the doctors report on WJ is pretty good. New airplanes, expansion, lots of hiring, stock up 2 or 3 bucks in the last couple of months, and hopefully some better economic times down the road.

I don't think Clive will have to fill out the CCAA forms quite yet.

Guest leftbase

LOL

Where were those posts again crying about people wishing ill on AC? Predicting CCAA for WS? Talk about premature speculation. Perhaps you should see a doctor?

The way you say that makes me think that it's been said a lot around the crew room in Calgary lately. I wouldn't go out and upgrade the house or car with the idea that the hugh profit sharing cheque will pay for it all. Just wait and see - the pain of AC's restructuring will be felt by the entire industry.

seeker

Guest ECB

Im just delighted that there is a profit. I suspect the Fall cheque might be low too from the depressed yields in spite of high summer bookings.

That said, Im sure it will also be profitable. That may be a disappointment for the posters relishing the thought of WestJet's demise but I would think they have bigger issues then lil'ol WestJet.

Archived