If I were King...

Guest FL410

Guest FL410

If I were King (or the CIRB)... I would:

1. Declare ALL of Air Canada operations be common employer including Jazz. (Something that the CIRB should have done LONG ago.)

2. Merge all competing bargaining units into one with Date of Hire as the ONLY criteria.

3. Legislate a #1 contract which would be made up of an average North American airline contract with average wages/working conditions for bargaining units.

4. Have Air Canada adopt a Continental style business style (multi-task personel).

5. Declare AC the National carrier to afford community protection. As thus AC granted certain perks to maintain profitability.

6. Have the AC administration responsible for bringing AC to it's current situation removed.

.... if I were King.

humbly,

FL410

You don't have to be much of a student of social studies to see how well dicated solutions have worked in the past century. They won't work here either.

With respect to your proposed solution, the premise is the same as every other failure to date. Someone scrambles up the hill, declares themselves "King" and declares from on high. Milton and his buddy are trying it now. Do you like the result?

I believe you mean well and don't mean to offend, but your approach is typical for a pilot. Assume control of an uncomfortable situation and force it to go where you want. The trouble is, everyone is trying that approach. The result is clear.

This requires an entirely different approach. Respect and the weighing of options in a cold light, not the whipsawing and media spin that I am seeing now.

Respectfully

Well CC, you knew I couldn't let THIS one go by!

Help me out here. Which of FL410's 6 points didn't you agree with? Numbers 3 through 5 seem reasonable, and number 1 seems to be a statement of the actual facts of life; so can I presume you're just not ready for number 2? (Why am I getting a faint memory of frantically waving my hand in grade four? )

Note that I didn't even bring up the sixth point. I figured that one was a shoe-in.

I dunno...this AC-"I" pilot might vote 410 for King. ;)

mic

Ah geez we don't even vote for the PM how could we vote for a king.

To be fair I really only have trouble with #2 but we know from experience that DOH can't be the ONLY criteria. I guess we have to sort out our merger before I can see a JAZZ/AC merger working...but then I ain't king either.

CCrm

In a word, yes..

There should be some serious discussion between merging AC with Jazz.

I have some personal difficulty with date of hire and nothing but, though this is where the ear, mouth and brain functions must come in to play.

This issue will dog all AC pilots [inc Jazz] for a long and negative period of time if not corrected. Our system is flawed and for that reason more than any other, it should be corrected.

With Rob and Calin at the helm, this will come very clear to all of us very soon and for very predictable reasons, IMO

Exactly. My post was to highlight that those who are wedded to the DoH notion might not want to live with all of its wrinkles. The merged list is a good idea, and I've said so on this forum. Applying Doh with that list would be another matter

All that to say, I think we're saying much the same thing.

This thread makes me giggle a bit, considering the somewhat acrimonious merger that ACPA pilots are having with the former CAIL pilots. Which, I should remind, has not yet been resolved, some 3 and 1/2 years later. Do you honestly think that this company, will go down this route particularly in times like this. I think not.

If you really want to fly big jets, the heavy iron, you best chance is with M-rats or some other outfit in the middle east. Although, I've been told through a friend of mine who has been there many years now that they can afford to be pretty selective these days. In other words those who are not indorsed, need not apply. Just the facts, the cold hard facts. www.emirates.com, or something like that, good luck!

Guest Terminated

This thread was woefully short on pompousness, until your post. I was wondering where your 'element' was.

Both sides [AC/Jazz] thought a merger was a good idea a few years ago, just could not agree on terms. Where there is a will, there is a way and this is not an insurmountable challenge by any means. Our merger with Canadian has been a joke, I cannot believe that 25 people have been left to decide the terms for 3600. As with both mergers, a little common sense, some compromise and a little grass roots involvement could move us a long way forward.

You don’t think the company will go down ‘that’ route… what route? Surely you have not missed the fact that Milton is the CEO now and Rovinescu is writing the plan forward?.. Down ‘that’ route? You can bet the company will be going down whatever route it can to minimize your remuneration, maximize your productivity and re-write your pension. Wanna talk about sacred cows? There will be NO sacred cows in the quest for free labour. I hope you are still giggling in a few years from now..

This has nothing to do with jets in my opinion, big or small. As for Emirates, I think you will find that pilots with F28 and CRJ time now occupy right seats of B777, your comments, re: endorsements, differs from the truth, at least as of the last interview process, five months ago.

Archived