De Icing Fluid @ YYZ

jump seat

Guest Labtec

Just got a call. All domestic and transborder flights out of YYZ are cancelled. The GTAA ran out of Glycol and they only have enough to do the overseas flights. I want my AIF back.

Labtec

Guest bluenose final

That may be the case for Air Canada but other demestic airlines they have been told the fluid is on the way and should be there by 14:00.

..thought it was recycled. Where did it go?

Just a lie by the GTAA to appease the environmentalists.

The airlines sure didn't need this. Talk about a perfect storm.

Unless glycol can't be stored for a few months, I don't understand why these moroons wouldn't have at least partially replenished their stock through the winter.

Talk about a Mickey Mouse organization. A $4 billion airport grinds to a halt because of a procurement clerk's failure.

And now, they are basically saying we're going to wait until the weather warms up.

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/April2003/04/c7870.html

Since they decided they would be th ONLY provider of that service it would also be reasonable to have them cover the lost revenue. Not only that but this storm was predicted WELL in advance.

These guys never cease to amaze me with the ineptitude.

Globe Ground is the service provider for deicing at the GTAA.

When you spray on the average of 3,000L per aircraft it doesn't take long before you burn through your reserves on hand.

Deicing fluid is reclaimed but it has to go through a process so that it can be used again. So far this does not take place in Toronto....there is a plant that can recycle used gycol and recertify it for acft use , but I don't think that Transport has allowed it's use yet in Canada.(I know its not in YYZ but not sure of other stations)

While I also shake my head at the fact that they ran out of fluid but remember that this stuff comes into Hamilton by rail and then is trucked to the CDF along the QEW......and we know what that has looked like for the last 2 days.

According to the press release, they had 700,000 litres, or a month's supply on hand. Do you think it's possible that they actually went through that amount in a 24hr period, considering most of the flights were cancelled, or is that just someone covering their a$$?

Guest Max Continuous

Dagger? You are developing an insight into what agencies WE, who are actually doing the job of transporting people from A to B, have to deal with on a daily basis!

You would be a welcomed guest in my flight deck anytime to learn MORE about what gets in the way of being efficient and profitable.

Do you own a VHF radio? Have a nice weekend !
:)

Guest Labtec

This is basically a contract dispute. Does anyone know how the contract is structured? Is the contract between Globe and the GTAA or between globe and each of the airlines? If it is between the GTAA and Globe and the airlines have their deal with the GTAA it should prove interesting? My guess is there are probably penalties built into the deal that will sanction the operator for failure to provide the service. I'll bet that the lawyers for the airlines, GTAA and Globe are looking at this right now. It'll be a long weekend of work for those folks.

Labtec

Archived