For Westjet 737-700 guys

Guest The Velvet Fog

Guest The Velvet Fog

The last couple of days at YYZ, we've been told that you can't go faster then 150 knots to the outer marker. Considering our winds lately, we'd rather do 170 or faster. Is it a problem like the 270 knots going out, or new procedure or what because it's a bit of a pain considering even a mere C208 will do 160.

Guest givemeabreak

typical controller, thinks the energy in a caravan is the same as a 737 at the same speed.

Guest Sanders

Is ATC telling you this. We can easily do up to 200 kts to the beacon if really required. Rarely have I ever crossed the beacon less than 160!!
The 270 kt climb only applies to certain -700 after they have been deiced with type 4. It's a tail problem that is being addressed by boeing. We actually only have a couple left that need the mod!!
Take care

I would suggest to Mr. Torme that unless he acknowledges an operational memo requiring him to assign 150k or less, he assign whatever airspeed his final requires. If an aircraft is unable to comply, then said aircraft should be sequenced a bit more 'strategically'.

The Velvet Fog: (lovely name)

This is a sensible action if you consider a new captain and First Officer with a new jet in their hands. Their "new" jet is probably packed with people......like sardines. They probably would like to be stabilized early on on the approach for a successful landing. The alernative is put guys in control when they have some experience.....whatever that means. But....I am only guessing!

Cheers

IS

Yes you are probably correct with WJ emptying out all the flying schools and showing them to the left seat. NOT! I believe our requirements are significantly higher than any division of AC or anyone else in Canada, Correct?

(((((This is a sensible action if you consider a new captain and First Officer with a new jet in their hands. Their "new" jet is probably packed with people......like sardines. They probably would like to be stabilized early on on the approach for a successful landing. The alernative is put guys in control when they have some experience.....whatever that means. But....I am only guessing)))))

Just my opinion,…. FLIGHT 69 you have sunk to a new low in your feeble attempt to demean professional pilots of another organization.

There is so much I could say, tongue in cheek, about your own perceived skills but let’s just leave it as it stands. Your remarks are an embarrassment to many of your fellow pilots and please don’t respond with your usual, “it was humour man, it was just humour, can’t you see it was just humour” because if it was….you really need more experience in utilizing the English language in a humourous vein. Shame.

Sometimes when doing the VNAV/LNAV approaches onto some of the Cat II runways(we received our cat II authorization a while back and we're trying to do as many as we can) the speeds that are chosen by the FMC for over the marker etc., sometimes are a little slow and don't neccesarily work with the "real world" speeds. It seems to me that most places (YYZ, YYC)would like to see at least 160 over the beacon and most times the FMC speed will be closer to final approach speed well before that. It might be that we'll have to be cognicant in the future of flying 160 at the marker and input that speed into the FMC.

FMC?! You can select any speed you want for the approach and revert to FMC managed speeds inside the marker. If we all stuck to FMC speeds every airbus in the sky would be crossing the marker at 132kts.

Thats true with the -700's as well. Sometimes though ATC will clear us for the ILS approach well before the DTW and we'll let'er do its thing and fly the whole approach. As I said before we'll maybe have to get the word around to be a little more aware of the speeds the FMC shows and bump them up to keep with the flow.

yooo....cowboy:

What is wrong with admitting that you have lots of younglings in your cockpits? You all keep on bragging about how quickly you guys get promoted so I thougth that this might be the case. You bet its my opinion and I might even be wrong.....who knows.

And, if you need to slow down please do so. Its no bother to me buddie! As for the ATCers well they will get used to your procedure sooner or later.

No cheap shot intended.

Cheers mate.

Azure:

Re: Younglings? I think you've just paid a very nice compliment to a lot of WJ pilots.

I intended to do so.

It's my style to call it as I see it. (and most likely as it is) What's wrong with stating the facts?

Remember.....I was young, once! Nothing to be shy or bashful about it.

Take care and.....dont let ATC rush you...take your time. Some (and I mean few)of the controllers have been watching one too many top gun type of movies.

IS

Guest The Velvet Fog

Thanks to almost all...For my good friend "givemeabreak", Midol ia available at your local pharmacy.

"Take care and.....dont let ATC rush you...take your time. Some (and I mean few)of the controllers have been watching one too many top gun type of movies."- I'm sure this is the same advice you give to aircrews who fly in and out of ORD where "it's not uncommon to have 6/7 runways active" (A total and utter falsehood, incidentally).

I suppose that's the beauty of the internet and quasi-anonymity- It's perfectly acceptable to play both sides of the fence without having to worry about being exposed as a tool.

"don't let ATC rush you...take your time" No problem, if you don't want to abide by speed control given to expedite traffic flow (as long as it is safe, please always advise if unable), fine by me. But, when the traffic backs-up please don't have the usual knee-jerk reaction of 'damn controllers must be pulling a job action'

Archived