Our Tax $$ hard at work

Kip Powick

No, I’m not crazy about bilingualism, but I have accepted it, and now we have legacy- crazy Jean stating that we are going to spend a total of 3.5 Billion in the next 5 years to boost bilingualism.

From Jean……(Globe and Mail article)

"The fact that we have two official languages, that we have people coming from all over the world and have found a way to live in peace in different languages, colours and religion, and build a country that is an example to the world, it is part of the Canadian personality that we have to continue to build."

Perhaps, based on his propensity to &%$@!ize the English language, he should take a couple of thousand $$ and sign up for some personal lessons.

Just what we really need. More tax dollars being frittered away on another of our governments language fiascos, and we have the Department of National Defence flying machinery that should be turned into unilingual road signs.

Just my opinion from away out here

Kip

Isn't it only a paltry 750M total over the five years?

Two issues have been front page news since JC took office, health care and DND. Both are grossly underfunded and will remain in that pathetic state.

Couldn't we hold a referendum on the bilingual issue and find out what cdn's really want? Isn't JC's dept of bilingualism already the second highest federally funded group?

Guest Starman

I have no problem with billingualism. I think that knowledge of additional languages is always an asset and a benefit to Canada. After all, what is language but communication, and better communication between people is always a good thing.

But spending tax dollars in order to increase the french presence in places like Vancouver, where even the ATM's are billingual in English and Cantonese (...make that Cantonese and English) is illogical and a gross miss-direction of taxpayers money.

If ever there was a time for a tax revolt in this country, it's now!

By the way, the biggest officially billingual economy in North America is not Canada... it's California. I wonder what their annual budget for billingualism is?

What a first class joker our P.M. is .The moron calls it billingualism but it is more about making the english speak french.Meanwhile we pander to Quebec's demands hhile very few there learn any english and it looks like they are about to elect yet another sepertist government.

Guest WA777

Canada has absolutely no future with this kind of nonsense.......Meanwhile cancer patients are dying because there are not enough spaces.....sad..sad..sad

Guest WA777

That is the best way to see what is really happening....spend some time outside Canada so you can see how incredibly stupid Canadians are for putting up with this crap.....

Guest b52er

Bilingualism has been "forced" on the majority of Canadians for many years now. Holding a referendum on an issue that has been forced upon someone is the last thing that the feds would consider. The results would reveal another "gun registry" fiasco. Wasted taxpayers money to appease a few zealots who have, like you stated, have become very vocal. If you really consider all that special interests groups have achieved over the years, It is very apparant that you must be vocal to achieve your goal, and really, what these groups have achieved is in most instances, not what the majority of Canadians feel is worthy of their dollars being allocated for. Besides, having travelled all over the world, if you want your children to have an advantage with a second language, for use in their business, and personal life, the spanish language will allow you communicate easier in many many more places throughout the world with a population that far exceeds the market that speaks french, therefore, exposing a huge population for one to explore in what is a much more beneficial language to learn. So should we not perhaps start to become vocal about allocating money to improve our economies potential with a larger population base by forcing us all to learn spanish instead a butchered dialect of the french language as the french have done in Canada? Go ahead, just ask any french national!

As a western Canadian now living and working in Montreal I also hate to see the amount of tax dollars that are being spent on bilingual programs. The other thing that rubs me the wrong way is the amount of anti-french sentiments that I see here. I shared alot of those views before I came to Montreal but this is an easy city and province to exist in, even for a anglophone.

I was very nervous coming here. The way the western press spins Quebec is not fair at all and I had these visions of not being able to function here. I have travelled around some of the province and while you do run into pockets of population that don't speak any english, by and large I have had no problems. Mind you, I've had that same problem in parts of Vancouver.

The current election in Quebec goes a long way to illustrating how the general population here have little interest in separation anymore. The issues here are the same everywhere else. The only thing that really bugs me is the language law here. Their intent is to legislate the french heritage. One cannot do that, your heritage is in your heart and if you feel strongly about it you will maintain it.

Now if only I had paid attention in french classes in high school instead of staring at the teachers legs I'd be better off. Damn, she was nice.

Archived