Thoughts for Saturday

Guest Pat Reid

Guest Pat Reid

I've only just starting posting here, but have been watching for a while.

$10 extra for fuel isn't going to break the bank, but it does still suck!

I not give a sh!t who dagger is! Sometimes he has good info, sometimes he's arrogant as all hell.

In my dept, I can count on one hand the managers that we should keep, as for the rest, nothing but useless little dictators, protecting their little kingdom's and definately not doing anything to save to company.

In my opinion, if Milton wants to get the unions on board, he must show that the management ranks are contributung as well. If the lowest pay cut is going to be 15% that's what they take. If I have to take one less week's vacation, so do they.

If we are to survive, we all have to know what each is giving up.

And finally, for those that don't like what I have to say,

Have a Nice Day!

$10 extra for fuel isn't going to break the bank, but it does still suck!
The passes are very near and dear to a great many employee’s hearts. I personally use one about every two or three months so this is not a big deal to me. I was talking with a friend out west who commutes on a daily basis and he says this is either going to force him to move or quit. As long as the company is going to charge the revenue passengers for a fuel surcharge, I believe it is proper for them to impose something on us. Yes it does suck.

While on the subject of passes, I firmly believe that there is some room for the company to save some costs in this area. In my simple little mind the pass system is there for employees as a perk that is second to no other industry. It should not be used for commuting from one city to another for work on a daily basis. There is a lot of this going on in this company. I believe that directors and above do not pay for their passes and I would like to see them at least have to pay for the taxes. The company should not be subsidizing people that are at the high end of the pay spectrum. There is one senior person that commutes on a POS basis YOWYUL on a daily basis. I have to wonder how many times he has traveled and we have denied revenue either at the airport through DBC or not having a seat to sell in advance. I have had employees work for me that commuted on a daily basis and it poses some real problems. They need to tighten down on the commuting.

I can’t remember when the last time I actually got put into J class. I would be willing to pay an extra amount (let’s call it 1000.00 per year) to have the ability to get upgraded even if there are seats in the back. On top of that I would be willing to pay a small premium on the service charge. This could easily generate a few extra million a year. If the company wants the employees to sell our J product to the public at large, they have to let us sample it. The C1 is not a bad system but I would prefer something to what I have explained here.

In my dept, I can count on one hand the managers that we should keep, as for the rest, nothing but useless little dictators, protecting their little kingdom's and definitely not doing anything to save to company.

Every department has those managers that the employees feel aren’t worth keeping. There is definitely a fair bit of “kingdom protection” going on. The problem right now is that there isn’t money for severance packages (so we are told) so those managers are going to be around for the foreseeable future. I can tell you that the department that I work in there are no managers that I would view as unworthy of their position. They work very hard and long hours and there is little complaining about it.

In my opinion, if Milton wants to get the unions on board, he must show that the management ranks are contributing as well. If the lowest pay cut is going to be 15% that's what they take. If I have to take one less week's vacation, so do they.

Here is where we differ. If the general population of employees take a 15% (for example) then there should be a graduated scale moving upwards from there. The senior executives should be looking taking somewhere around 22%. I have a question that perhaps someone else could answer. I know that during the ONEX debacle the BOD gave RM a golden handshake clause that amounted to something close to 2 million dollars. There are other VP’s that have this as well (I’m guessing). Do these amounts have to carried as a liability on the balance sheet.

RM and others – Are you willing to give these up as a show of good faith to your employees? Quit brining in the yanks on large employment contracts. They have destroyed parts of UA so we hire them here. Go figure. There are an awful lot of smart airline people right here in this airline called Air Canada. Robert give your own people a chance. It is very disheartening to see people from outside getting the jobs that many people here have worked many years for and aspired to.

If we are to survive, we all have to know what each is giving up
Agree wholeheartedly. There are too many people playing their cards too close to their chest. The unions have to get together and compare notes. I’m not saying that they should negotiate together as they all have different agendas but time is not on our side.
I am willing to give up substantially in order to save this airline. That is in salary and/or benefits. We are not moving fast enough and if we are making some wins along the way I would urge senior management to share those with us.

Let’s just get on with it.

Guest Jet Dude

Be carefull Pat, read this caption taken from Mr.Kip,
"Based on your “profile” I see you have a total of 2 posts on AEF at the present time. You may, however have been “lurking”, as is your option, but based on your opening post, one would have to conclude that you have failed to do much research prior to coming to a very hasty and sarcastic conclusion…… but then again perhaps “your handle” says it all, DUDE…."
It seems that there is an unwriten rulen that you must reach a certain quota of post and you must have a catchy handle (I guess "JET DUDE" was not on the list of acceptable handles) to be permitted to express your personal opinion here.

Here is where we differ. If the general population of employees take a 15% (for example) then there should be a graduated scale moving upwards from there. The senior executives should be looking taking somewhere around 22%.

I think you miss one important point. 15% of a $40,000 salary is $6,000. 15% of a $125,000 salary is $18,750. So who is putting more back into the company? The higher salary is kicking in an amount 3 times greater than the lesser salary.

I think we've just illustrated the inequality of the Canadian tax system...

Jet Dude,

Chill... A fellow who just arrives and starts being sarcastic and critical before he's gotten any sense of what's what and who's who deserves to be told he's out of line... Chances are, most of us got just such a lesson when we first arrived. :D

And... bear in mind that, just as your opinion is as valid as the next guy's, so is the opinion of the next guy to lambaste you. ;)

As much as it may suck, we are also passengers, it infuriates the paying passenger enough that we fly for next to nothing,but to find out we as employees are exempt from fuel surcharge, well that may push a few over the edge.
I too commuted between two cities for a period of time, but I do not recall any where in my contract that states pass travel must be kept to an absolute minimum so as I can live in that other city.If you chose to work in that other city, that is your problem.I myself uprooted my family and moved to my new work location,it turned out to be the best move that my wife and I ever made.

P.S But I still love the HABS!!!

Guest Jet Dude

Mr Cronin,
I agree with your philosophy sir, but Mr,Kip seems to think otherwise as you can see in his response.
If I am harsh on an individual then I fully expect to be given flack in return and rightfully so.But to make a statement "Based on your “profile” I see you have a total of 2 posts on AEF at the present time. You may, however have been “lurking”,"seems to suggest otherwise, and also the attack on my chosen handle, rather childish, I do not recall making comments to the handle of "DAGGER". In case you or Mr.Kip are wondering, I have been reading this forum for well in excess of a year, so i am quite familiar with who is who.

Archived