Who's minding the shop?

A post below brings up an odd quirk of the "union shop"

Within some union environments, the complete moron, the total pooch screwer, and the hard working guy with a good head on his shoulders all working the same job, side by side, all advance at the same rate, according to seniority. The rewards or incentive that would have existed for the hard working folk has been erased.

If that's true, it's because the collective agreement that's been negotiated has no provision in it for rewarding or promoting people based on performance alone. Sometimes it's been carefully avoided to make sure there's no patronage within, or just to prevent the "barbecue circuit" syndrome..., but it serves as quite a disadvantage for the employer. You may have thought I was about to say it's a disadvantage for the hard working employee, right? Well, that's only true as long as he cares, eventually, he'll stop caring, and he'll very likely slow down some as well. Which of course is why I say it's such a disadvantage for the employer.

If all is rosy at HQ, I guess you just live with that, as many outfits have for eons. But when it comes to a crunch, and production improvements are needed and the red ink is flowing like blood... It really ought to be fixed (really it should have been fixed long before then, but whatever). So what's the fix?....

The fix needs to come from the folks immediately in charge of the union folk, and not by cracking a whip, as that only creates a storm and annoys all 3 of the above mentioned employees, which won't help production at all. The trouble is, in a large company, you've got all three of the same types in management as well. While the one kind cracks the whip anyway, another will be just busily avoiding anything that makes it obvious he's doing a lousy job, the third will be trying to find ways around the letter of the collective agreement to make sure at least some of the good guys get some rewards. But that last of the three causes trouble in the form of accusations from some about the old barbecue circuit.

So, what to do? In my view you need to build into the collective agreement an incentive system that does in fact allow recognition and reward for those who excel. And then, you have to find the lousy managers and toss them out, so you'll have less chance of those rewards being inappropriately dispensed. Sounds easy enough, right? Well.... The last time I saw the management sweep done at a company I've gotten quite familiar with, the ones who did their best to mind their little empires and make sure no one found anything to pin on them, and the mindless whip crackers did ok.... So who's in charge of them? I'll wager that the same difficulties exist all the way to just below the highest ranks.

As a further to your thoughts Mitch, in the last few days in YYZ they have shuffled the deck of Managers once again. They say that it is to streamline the operation, but if you know who the players are, for anyone on the station it is just another instance of creating confusion to hide the inadequate nature of how the shop is run.

No longer is it acceptable to leave someone in place who is knowledgeable and good at what they do for the betterment of the operation, they move them around so that everyone is at the same level on the learning curve at what they do. In my opinion, this is very ineffecient.

I believe that Robert Milton is a great planner and tactician when it comes to the actual running of the airline. Yet when it comes to actual Leadership, he is sorely lacking.

He needs to morph into the likes of a Lee Iaccoca, one who will give definitive direction and lead the charge. As was illustrated with the Canadian takeover, leading up to and including where we are today where the papers are reporting that he is softening his stance on concessions, Mr. Milton has to drop the the wait and see style and lead the charge.

My observations around the station is that generally the employees are knowledgeable of their work and want to do a good job, yet are frustrated with having to answer to multiple masters. How can one do a good job when on any given day you are given work by not only your immediate manager, but your M.O. and then the Director sticks in his two cents worth. There are too many levels trying to control the operation and it shows.

So I propose to Mr. Milton, stop "asking" the unions for concessions, "tell" them what you want, show them where you want to take them, and then let them do it.

Rgds...

Iceman

...That just illustrates the need to be wise about who you put in the upper positions. If the choices are right at the top, it follows that they'll have a greater chance of being correct all the way down; as A was right about B, so B is sharp enough to be right about C, and so on down to the guy who decides whether or not the lowly grunt deserves a pat on the back.

And it's not my system, it's just what we have. :)

We have an old cliche in maintenance, it is "promote by incompetance", it is in reference to the way AC operates, if they found a mechanic to be incompetant, instead of doing what ever possible to rid them selves of this individual, they would just promote them to a management position, just to keep them away from an aircraft.The result is horrible management.

Is there anything that you like about this airline Robert. You seem "bent" on slamming management at every possible opportunity. The way you illustrate your area in maintenance, there are no good managers.

We seem to be able to the aircraft out of the hangar and onto the gate. Surely the maangers must play even a little part in this.

Having come to AC from CDN I do see some, not much, but some of the old "civil service" mentality. In the few years that I have been here though, there have been many positive changes initiated by management.

Is there any management at any level of this airline that you trust.

Sticle,
maybe in your part of the company the management is fine but here in maintenance, the majority of management should not be in the positions they are in.We do have some very good management people, but they are few and far between and if they buck the trend they are sent off to some obscure position where they are seldom heard from.The result of the management style in maintenance has resulted in a number of suicides, mental break downs,some very competant people up and quiting,etc etc.
As to liking any part of the company, I work with some of the best AME's that I have ever seen in my life, people that are qualified and incredibly competant.As I have stated before, I was management for a period of time, but opted to go back to the union ranks after seeing what goes on.
Unless you work in my world, you will have no idea to the nonsense that goes on with the management we have, jees just last month we had a manager trying to screw another manager all over shift choice.I am sure Mitch can enlight you more as to the management type we have in maintenance especially with some of the problem he has had to endure.

Bashing AC management again. I thought that was not allowed on this forum. I would still like to see the manager's face who suggested to gouge the employees with the fuel surcharges.

...if it's dark over there, how the hell will I find my way out of this blackness? :[
You guys wouldn't have me, I'll bet. I'm too ugly and I get all messed up on the owl shift... sumthin messin with the kemikles in ma brayn...

....but if life was to go the way a fella might script it... I'd be scrubbin the puke offa them seats right along side you. And chuckin the bags and fixin what Maverick mighta messed up (chuckle-snort-grin)... and whatever I could to show my appreciation to an employer who gives a damn and proves it.

Archived