Near miss in Austin

GDR

The First Officer's experience and spidey senses definitely saved the day. I hope we never find out the hard way but I am left wondering if a brand new FO would have done the same, or would they have obeyed company policy which says the FO must stay "head down" during a CAT III approach and landing or go-around?

22 hours ago, J.O. said:

The First Officer's experience and spidey senses definitely saved the day. I hope we never find out the hard way but I am left wondering if a brand new FO would have done the same, or would they have obeyed company policy which says the FO must stay "head down" during a CAT III approach and landing or go-around?

Good point but the key word in your post is "Experience" and in this case the FO, like many of us that have/had extensive experience, tended to "peek" when that rad-alt reading was getting very close to terra firma.๐Ÿ˜

I only experienced an actual CAT III from the right seat once, and I definitely peaked when we were short final. I trust the automation up to a point - but not that much. I honestly admire anyone who has the discipline to stay head down.

7 hours ago, J.O. said:

I only experienced an actual CAT III from the right seat once, and I definitely peaked when we were short final. I trust the automation up to a point - but not that much. I honestly admire anyone who has the discipline to stay head down.

That's why the HUD (or FGS) is so nice to have.

11 hours ago, J.O. said:

Your comment piqued my interest. Iโ€™ve done many actual CAT IIIB approaches and landings. My level of alertness peaked below 500โ€™, but I never peeked.

Although I have seen the automation behave a bit wobbly when LOW VIS protections were not being enforced, Iโ€™ve never seen it stray when they were. That said, has anyone else here ever done a CAT IIIA into LBA? That was eye opening! ๐Ÿ˜ณ Thankfully they donโ€™t do them there anymore.