True Sportsmanship

J.O.

Between the NHL lockout and what some perceive as a poor Canadian performance at the Olympics, it's been easy to get disillusioned with sports in general. Then, when I'm just bored enough to consider watching NASCAR (sorry, Mitch), I catch a glimpse of the Paralympics on CBC. Talk about competing for the sake of competition. No doping scandals, no judging controversies, just people putting it all on the line because they love their sport. Pretty impressive stuff.

Jeff

P.S. FWIW, I don't subscribe to the theory that our Olympic team failed this year. We have 10% of the population they have in the US, and we earned more than 10% of the US medal count.

I catch a glimpse of the Paralympics on CBC. Talk about competing for the sake of competition. No doping scandals, no judging controversies, just people putting it all on the line because they love their sport. Pretty impressive stuff.

Jeff

If only it was indeed pure but the reality is quite different.

It seems that the Athens competition is going down the same path as the past event in Sydney.

Cuban judoka stripped of gold after failed drug test

Last Updated: Fri Sep 24 13:06:42 EDT 2004

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - A visually impaired judo competitor from Cuba lost his Paralympic gold medal Friday after testing positive for a banned substance.

Sergio Arturo Perez, winner of the 60-kilogram class, tested positive for prednisolone, an anti-inflammatory agent, International Paralympic Committee spokeswoman Miriam Wilkens said.

Perez received a warning, but no suspension.

"Prednisolone is not a performance-enhancing substance in judo," Wilkens said. "Therefore, we can apply the minimum sanction, which is a warning and reprimand and a loss of the results and his gold medal."

It's the third case of doping so far in these Games.

On Wednesday, a pair of powerlifters from Azerbaijan tested positive for banned substances in initial doping tests and were banned for life from the Paralympics.

Sara Abbazova, in the 75-kilogram category, tested positive for the steroid nandrolone, while Gunduz Ismayilov, in the 90-kg class, tested positive for the steroid stanazolol.

The two athletes are banned for life from the Games because this is their second anti-doping violation, Wilkens said.

The International Paralympic Committee has planned for approximately 700 doping tests in the 11-day Games. The IPC tests for all substances banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Canadian sprinter Earle Connor, a multiple world-record holder, tested positive for trace amounts of testosterone and nandrolone in an out-of-competition test performed Aug. 23, ruling him out of the Athens Games.

with files from Associated Press

More Paralympic powerlifters test positive

WebPosted Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:34:22 EDT

BY JOHN PYE, SYDNEY (AP-CP) - The drug epidemic in powerlifting is overshadowing the Sydney Paralympics, where positive doping cases escalated to nine Thursday with the announcement of three new bans.

The nine drug busts in powerlifting has astonished the International Paralympic Committee's top doctor.

"It's serious, it's extremely disturbing," medical director Michael Riding said. He said he wasn't sure how to react to the "terrible problem" that was plaguing the sport of powerlifting.

"I'm startled by this," said Riding, adding that the introduction of out-of-competition testing in Sydney had obviously caught "everybody by surprise."

BBC News Coverage of the Paralympic

It seems that even the "Special Olympics" are suspect. Re NASCAR, I would not be too sure....

Special Olympics to implement drug testing

A proud Special Olympian celebrates his victory before submitting to now-mandatory drug testing.

Washington, D.C. -- In an effort to crack down on the widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs, officials will begin screening Special Olympics athletes for steroid use, the International Amateur Athletic Association (IAAA) confirmed Thursday.

"We are committed to taking a firm anti-doping line," said Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder and honorary chairman of the Special Olympics, which now serves 300,000 developmentally disabled athletes. Shriver went on to explain that the IAAA will provide consulting to the Special Olympics to help officials spot "dopers" and advise on the most effective testing procedures.

"All winners will be automatically tested," said IAAA director Theodore Vance, reaffirming his association's commitment to its "common sense' approach to testing. "I know, I know, 'They're all winners.' But we mean the actual, technical winners of each event."

NASCAR collects signed substance abuse policies

By Jenna Fryer

The Associated Press

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - NASCAR spent Friday collecting signed copies of its substance abuse policy from drivers and team members - a requirement before cars are allowed on the track.

The four-page document gives the sanctioning body permission to randomly drug test anyone involved in the series. NASCAR tested fewer than a dozen competitors in its top three series last season, said Kevin Triplett, managing director of business operations.

The policy has undergone several changes over the past 10 years, but remains the same as the 2002 document, Triplett said.

NASCAR prohibits all illegal drugs at any time under the policy; bans the use of alcohol on the day of an event; and warns of the effect of certain prescription and nonprescription medications.

Random tests are done when NASCAR has a "reasonable cause" to believe a participant might have violated its policy, Triplett said.

I dunno what possible drug could be out there to make a man drive better!?

I don't doubt that someone might try, but if you can find a better "drug" than the adrenaline rush of screaming around a track at near 200 mph, literally inches from your competitors, you'll manage to amaze me!

I'd think any drug at all would only be a possible detriment to performance in that environment.

But hey, what do I know???.... blink.gif

(except maybe some anger control stuff....)

Speaking of which, Shanghai F1 might be worth a watch (TSN 0200e). Schumacher's starting back of the pack and has to get by Villeneuve to reach the front. They ain't friends.

I dunno what possible drug could be out there to make a man drive better!?

I don't doubt that someone might try, but if you can find a better "drug" than the adrenaline rush of screaming around a track at near 200 mph, literally inches from your competitors, you'll manage to amaze me!

I'd think any drug at all would only be a possible detriment to performance in that environment.

But hey, what do I know???.... blink.gif

Seems that every sport has it's offenders......

Kevin Grubb on Tuesday became the second NASCAR Busch Series driver in six months to be indefinitely suspended by NASCAR for violation of its substance abuse policy.

According to NASCAR's statement, the suspension will remain in effect until Grubb meets the terms and conditions set forth for future reinstatement, including counseling and periodic random drug testing.

"NASCAR has zero tolerance for any type of behavior that is in violation of our Substance Abuse Policy," NASCAR President Mike Helton said. "We have a moral responsibility to protect the integrity of our sport."

http://www.mblog.com/full_throttle/007983.html

It would be easy to stick my head in the sand and say that drug abuse happens only in other sports--not in NASCAR. There are stringent laws in this country exacting heavy penalties for driving under the influence at 55 mph. It's all but inconceivable to imagine driving under the influence at 185 mph.

But when I heard the rumors of Busch Series driver Shane Hmiel's possible suspension for an alleged positive drug test after the second Richmond race, I can't say I was surprised. I can say I was disappointed, but not nearly as disappointed as Shane's father, Steve, who has spent the last 30 years building an impressive reputation in the sport.

"This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to our family," says Steve Hmiel, the technical director at Dale Earnhardt Inc. "Shane is brokenhearted. He wants to race. This is all he's ever done. He's made a mistake, but he can fix it."

Over the last few years, there have been persistent but unsubstantiated rumors concerning a few prominent members of the NASCAR community. On September 18, some of that speculation ended. NASCAR issued a statement announcing Hmiel's indefinite suspension.

In 1988, NASCAR created its substance-abuse policy in response to allegations regarding the late Tim Richmond. NASCAR used the NFL's program at the time as a model.

NASCAR requires drivers in the Craftsman Truck, Busch and Winston Cup series to pass physicals before the season openers in February at Daytona, and mandatory drug tests are not included.

Officials can test a driver if NASCAR says there is reasonable suspicion. NASCAR, in the news release concerning Hmiel, says that approach "is well suited, because of the close and continuing contact between our officials and our competitors."

But is suspicion enough, or does NASCAR need mandatory testing?

Joe Gibbs, who won three Super Bowls as a Redskins coach and two Cup championships as a NASCAR owner, says it does.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...27/ai_108649706

Sponsors of racecar drivers have become much more demanding, focusing on the image their drivers portray. NASCAR can demand a mandatory drug test from anyone “carrying one of its licenses, if they display erratic behavior, inattentiveness, slurred speech and noticeable mood swings,” all signs of a substance abuse problem.

Driver Shane Hmiel is now banned from any NASCAR sanctioned area, including the garage, after not passing a drug test — a random drug tests, in fact. Normally known by his colleagues as a good racer, Shane is going to have a hard time overcoming failing to pass urine drug test screens imposed upon him, and to get a sponsor to take another chance. These sponsorships can run more than $10 million dollars a year and are built around a drivers reputation, which must be free of positive piss test controversy, to be blunt. Hmiel has the support of his friends during his recovery, but after that he may have to fend for himself.

Other drivers who have had similar drug testing and drug-related problems have not done so well. Driver Jamie Skinner was arrested in 2001 for drug possession and hasn’t driven since. Daytona and LeMons Sports Car Champion John Paul Jr., who was convicted of drug smuggling and then served his time in prison, still has trouble finding full time work ten years later. Driving for NASCAR isn’t like it was 70 years ago. Corporate America demands squeaky clean images for its advertising, so if sponsorship millions are objective number one, these athletes must pass any drug test required by the NASCAR organization. There is no other way around it.

http://www.bdtzone.com/news_details.asp?ID=70

I'm not denying that there are NASCAR drivers who might fail a urine test (though I must say, I'm puzzled... I'm watching Shane Hmiel as we speak... running 4th in a NASCAR truck race at Vegas?)... but do you think there's any drug that can actually be a performance enhancer in that case? I don't.

For that reason, I don't think it's fair to say NASCAR has any drug abuse issue... Some of it's participants may, but I don't think it has anything but a possible detrimental effect on their race results. That's quite a different issue than some of the drug use in other sports.... used to enhance their performance. Don't you think?

There are drugs that "enhance" your ability to react quickly and could be in use by some folks at NASCAR. You only have to look into the drug(s) that are issued to members of the US AirForces when they are going into combat, I suspect they would be of equal use to racecar drivers.

Re

I don't think it's fair to say NASCAR has any drug abuse issue... Some of it's participants may
is rather like saying that society has no drug abuse issues, just individuals. rolleyes.gif

Drug Use in the US Military.

but do you think there's any drug that can actually be a performance enhancer in that case? I don't.

Certain Beta Blockers may enhance their performance. (Biathaletes use them to steady their heart rate when doing the shooting part of their competition)

That being said I do not really consider NASCAR drivers athletes - just my opinion.

That being said I do not really consider NASCAR drivers athletes - just my opinion.

Pretty subjective, that is. By what criteria do you define an athlete? The dictionary on my shelf defines an athlete as "A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts."

Tell you what, head on down to the nearest go-cart track that rents out the high performance models. Do 20 minutes driving as hard as you can while remaining in control. Pretend that there's forty plus guys trying to get by you. Soon, that helmet will feel like a concrete block on the top of your neck. When you're done, you'll feel tightness in your neck, shoulder and arm muscles unlike anything you've felt before. Now multiply the strains that created that tightness by a factor of 3 or 4, and do it for 3 hours, and then tell me you really don't consider them good ol' boys to be athletes! I've heard they can lose as much as 10 pounds during a mid-summer race. Sounds pretty athletic to me.

Not a NASCAR fan but I have to agree with J.O. Try driving a vehicle at 200 mph for a couple of hours with a cockpit temp. of 100F and oh yes pulling a G load (Typically, intermediate tracks average a lateral g-force of approximately 1.9. to 3.5 at the super ovals) every time you hit a corner. The "good old boys" have to be in shape.

NASCAR prohibits all illegal drugs at any time under the policy; bans the use of alcohol on the day of an event; and warns of the effect of certain prescription and nonprescription medications.

The ban may not be related to trying to keep performance enhancing drugs away from the sport, but perhaps to keep the obviously dangerous sport safe.

The use of drugs in military pilots appears to be aimed at keeping them awake for longer periods of time, but not necessarily mentally alert and funtionning with good judgement, despite what some of their studies purport.

cc

Archived