Engine Failure with Spinner running amuck

found on Avherald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ca251ec&opt=0

Incident: Delta MD88 near Raleigh/Durham on Jul 8th 2019, engine problem

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Jul 8th 2019 21:12Z, last updated Tuesday, Jul 9th 2019 20:50Z

A Delta Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-88, registration N906DL performing flight DL-1425 from Atlanta,GA to Baltimore,MD (USA) with 154 people on board, was enroute at FL330 about 30nm northwest of Raleigh/Durham,NC (USA) when the crew decided to divert to Raleigh/Durham due to a problem with one of the engines (JT8D). The aircraft landed safely on runway 23R about 30 minutes later.

The airline reported the crew received indication of a possible engine issue and diverted to Raleigh/Durham.

A passenger video shows the spinner of the left hand engine broken off and all fan blades missing.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1425/history/20190708/1614Z/KATL/KBWI

Passenger video of the engine (Video: viralhog/Becca Montouth):

5 hours ago, J.O. said:

The forward fan is missing completely. I wonder if they'll ever find it?

The fan is not missing, that’s a JT8D-217 or -219. The first stage is a stator. I’ve seen the bullet come off a -17A. Chewed it up but no serious damage. This one is weirder though, the glow seems to indicate a forward bearing failure. 

17 hours ago, Maverick said:

The fan is not missing, that’s a JT8D-217 or -219. The first stage is a stator. I’ve seen the bullet come off a -17A. Chewed it up but no serious damage. This one is weirder though, the glow seems to indicate a forward bearing failure. 

Interesting, thanks! I read it elsewhere and assumed by the language used that the poster had direct knowledge. Then again, it is the internet! ?

Archived