Hopefully other nations are also taking diversions because of unruly passengers more seriously

January 16, 2018 11:54 am
Updated: January 16, 2018 11:59 am

Ottawa man charged after Air Canada flight diverted to Thunder Bay

By Staff The Canadian Press

THUNDER BAY, Ont. – Police say an Ottawa man has been charged after an Air Canada flight was diverted to Thunder Bay, Ont., because of an unruly passenger.

Thunder Bay police say officers were sent to Thunder Bay International Airport last Friday and boarded the plane just after 4 p.m.

They say the man complied when asked to leave the plane and was arrested once he was off the aircraft.

Police say a 31-year-old man is charged with assault in an aircraft in flight.

READ MORE: RCMP arrest ‘unruly’ passenger after flight from Calgary to Yellowknife diverted to Fort McMurray

Investigators did not release details of the incident or the flight involved.

The man was remanded in custody after a court appearance on Saturday and was to return to court on Tuesday.

56 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

When were they not taken seriously?

Many times in the past the diversion was caused by an unruly passenger who was was not charged.

My comment was not specific to Canada but rather aimed at all countries (we are after all a world spanning industry).  Title changed to be more specific.

If the incident happened over the N atlantic, some police forces have been reluctant to charge because the incident happened outside of their jurisdiction. Anecdotely, I had a situation where I requested the local force at YYZ to meet the aircraft for a couple of jerks who were being obnoxious and suspected of drinking their own booze on the flight. Law enforcement again, was reluctant to charge because of lack of evidence, however, they said they also appraised CBSA of the situation. A closer inspection of the individuals background revealed some info that led to them having a bad day......if they had just kept their mouths  shut!!

Archived