Cold Aircraft Cabin ? Buy a Blanket but $$?

Kip Powick

(CNN)Who hasn't complained about airline fees? Well, there's apparently a limit to the degree a customer can gripe -- especially if it happens in midair.

In this case, it seems a chilly cabin -- and a dispute over cold, hard cash -- sparked a heated exchange Wednesday between a passenger and an employee of Hawaiian Airlines.
The 66-year-old man threatened the worker after he was charged $12 for a blanket, said Officer Rob Pedregon, a spokesman for the police department at Los Angeles International Airport. The man insisted he should not have to pay because it was cold on the plane.
Then, during an in-flight call with an airline representative, the man said he "would like to take someone behind the woodshed for this," Pedregon said.
Airport police cited an "unruly passenger," and the captain diverted the Honolulu-bound flight to Los Angeles. After landing, police officers and FBI agents met with the flight crew and passenger and determined the man did not pose a serious threat.
"After questioning the parties involved, we determined no crime was committed, and there was no direct threat," Pedregon told CNN.
Even so, the airline stuck by its decision to reroute the flight.
"Diverting a flight is clearly not our first choice, but our crew felt it was necessary in this case to divert to Los Angeles and deplane the passenger before beginning to fly over the Pacific Ocean," Hawaiian Airlines spokeswoman Alison Croyle told CNN affiliate KCAL.
Four hours later, the plane was back in the sky. The man caught another flight to Hawaii on Thursday, Pedregon said.

•  
    Paid Content

15 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

Heat is extra now too?

Lots of things are extra: This is what WestJet posts, I can not find any entry for AirCanada and their service charges for blankets except that a "blanket, pillow and earphone package" are available at a nominal fee. 

Service Fee and details
Non-alcoholic beverage and snack Complimentary (on flights over one hour)
Food options $2.29-$19.54 (availability based on flight time and duration)
Alcoholic beverages $6.49-$8.61 (availability based on flight time and duration)
Seatback TV - satellite television  Complimentary for domestic flights within Canada (available on select aircraft, however, unavailable within U.S. or international flights) 
Seatback TV - movies Complimentary for domestic flights within Canada, U.S and international flights (available on select flights)
WestJet Connect internet connectivity 30 minute pass for $4.99-$5.74 
Three hour pass for $8.99-$10.34
Flight pass for $13.99-$16.00
(available on select aircraft)
Premium rental tablets $8.99 -$10.34 
(Limited quantity available on select flights over three hours)
Earbuds Standard $3.49-$4.01 
Premium $9.99-$11.49
Blanket $3.99-$4.59
Charging cable $9.99-$11.49
Personal device holder $5.00-$5.75 (all proceeds donated to WestJet Cares for Kids charity partners)

43 minutes ago, mo32a said:

I was in the window seat in a flight from YVR to AMS and was frozen. Had coat and blanket both trying to mitigate it. The whole bulkhead was cold to the touch.

And......did you mention it to the cabin crew???

And....did anyone else complain????

Surely the cabin crew were made aware of the temperature and if they dissed you with, "well that's the way it is" I would be writing letters to the airline involved. We all know that some  loads  are just airborne petri dishes and it is the airline/cabin crews responsibility to ensure a "live-able" environment..

Now if you were drying out from a weekend "bender"....well that is another case.:P 

If you're seated at an exit row, it will be colder than other places on the plane. Our (maybe all?) 767 overwing exits are the worst for that. Now, if you're seated in the middle of our A321s you're going to roast in order to keep the other 2 thirds of the plane comfortable. Design defect, from what I was told.

I will give usually out free blankets to overwing exit row passengers on the 767. Our blanket and pillow kits are $7, I believe.

On 3/10/2017 at 1:24 PM, Kip Powick said:

And......did you mention it to the cabin crew???

And....did anyone else complain????

Surely the cabin crew were made aware of the temperature and if they dissed you with, "well that's the way it is" I would be writing letters to the airline involved. We all know that some  loads  are just airborne petri dishes and it is the airline/cabin crews responsibility to ensure a "live-able" environment..

Now if you were drying out from a weekend "bender"....well that is another case.:P 

Actually I just traded seats with my wife.:P It was like having single pane windows in a house on a cold day, even though the air in the house is warm you feel like there is a cold draft on the window side from conduction losses.

Archived