Air Canada Offering Loa's?

HST

Air Canada is presently offering leaves of absence and BCA through Aeropersonnel has the full court press on our A320 captains as a result. They are running screenings next month and it sounds like there will be a dozen or more takers. We're being told that the safety bonus scams are a thing of the past, everything is great etc etc. Basing in Sanya, live by the beach, what could be better? For me I have a young family and couldn't pull the trigger but I did give it more than a second thought. Honestly a little bit of "too good to be true" was holding me back. As you say, red flag.

If the above post (PPRuNe) is to be believed, does AC frequently offer LOA's? I've only heard in the past of it being offered to mitigate furloughs.

Yes for pilots right now until Oct 31, 2017. I've heard that we are 50-100 pilots overstaffed. Not enough to lay off and cause the ripple effect of a downbid, especially when the cause and end date are so clear. Fly past 60 came into effct Dec 2012, add 5 years and there's the answer.

They thought x pilots would still choose to retire, but everybody is staying.

About 700 FAs have taken LOAs of up to two years. Now that we don't ever have to retire, coupled with the new 1:50 rules, the amount of flying transferred to rouge, and the 787 delays, we're severely overstaffed.

Ok thanks. A 3 year leave will likely be enough for guys who will be in for a challenge in China (SE Asia). It's a learning opportunity (not all for the good) for those with the right mind set. Having the benefit of returning will undoubtably make the work more palatable. Should be interesting stories all around.

Archived