I Don't Claim To Know Anything About The Car Rental Industry

Super 80

or the retail insurance industry.

But why on earth would a document like this be sent to the consumer and not directly to her insurance company? It seems like it should be a non-story. Instead it is a PR disaster. I know the insurance company is disputing it, but that is between Enterprise and her insurance company.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/stolen-enterprise-rental-mustang-has-woman-facing-47k-bill-1.2482273

And to compound the point, wouldn't this seem like a painfully obvious outcome? Shouldn't somebody in some managerial capacity have handled this differently than a dent or half-empty gas tank?

https://www.facebook.com/enterpriserentacar somebody is going to have a lot of posts to delete on Monday. As of early Saturday morning there are a couple million incredulous posts on their facebook page.

It also made the local news in the DFW area complete with kooky morning radio sound effects.

It usually very clearly states on the rental contract that if a vehicle is dropped off at a rental location outside of business hours, the renter is fully responsible for the vehicle until that location's next business day.......or words to that affect. It's a pretty clear statement whatever the exact wording is.

I found out the hard way 20some years ago with a rental from Alamo in DFW after returning a vehicle after hours. Long story short, I had the replacement cost of an Oldsmobile 98 on my credit card for almost 6 months. It was only after finally getting the intervention of the rental companies CEO that I got the matter resolved.

It usually very clearly states on the rental contract that if a vehicle is dropped off at a rental location outside of business hours, the renter is fully responsible for the vehicle until that location's next business day.......or words to that affect. It's a pretty clear statement whatever the exact wording is.

....................................................................................................................................

So true.... I rented from Enterprise over Christmas in 2013. The day I wanted to bring the car back, the young lady suggested I don't do that as 'they' were closed, and instead, keep it at home for the night and bring it in at opening hour the next day. There was no extra time/day charge.

I have rented from Enterprise for years...no problems at all and one should read the contract because the renter is responsible if it is dropped off and the place is closed.

Archived