Fatigue

blues deville

I spent 3 hours of my family day stuck immediately behind a truck roll over which closed both east and west lanes of Canada's busiest highway.

A tractor trailer hauling two ship containers rolled over in the westbound lane and tossed its second trailer/container into the eastbound lane. I took these photos but an internet reporter's pictures clearly showed skid marks on the road surface just before it rolled onto its side.

Perfectly clear day, not too much traffic. How does this happen! Asleep behind the wheel?

Thanks. Me too. After 3 hours waiting the OPP allowed all of the cars to backtrack to the nearest exit. Apparently one car was hit by the stray container which landed on the EB lane. A mother and 3 children were taken away by ambulance. Their car seemed to be in reasonable shape and I could see the airbag had not been deployed.

If the driver of one of those double-trailer rigs makes (or is forced to make) a sudden lateral move, the chances of losing control are pretty high. I saw it happen east of Kingston last winter. The second trailer was flailing back and forth wildly and I am still amazed that he managed to get it under control. I'm pretty sure that a change of trousers was required soon thereafter. Heck, I almost crapped MY pants and I was just watching it from a safe distance back.

Archived