Break Time

Kip Powick

Kip, some would argue that skill with technology is just as admirable as being able to play an instrument (not me....but some would).

I do love the clip you posted but have to say I'm generally suspicious of child prodigy performances - gotta wonder how much is the child's own desire and how much comes from the parents. As a parent yourself you know there's a fine line between encouraging the child to persevere through a tough patch in their music lessons or skating drills and forcing a child to continue with something that holds no interest for them or in which they don't have the talent. That's not a comment on the link you provided since those boys obviously have both the talent and desire for their music but the video we're not seeing if from some poor kid who's being forced to take piano lessons when he/she would rather be doing something else. I think it's important for parents to understand that their job is to provide the opportunity and exposure but to let the kid pick the activity (with support of course). My daughter was in swimming, skating, music, soccer, music, art classes, basketball, gymnastics and downhill skiing - ended up as a flute-playing lifeguard who skiis recreationally.

I don't disagree with your POV, my point is that the egg-plant shaped kids that are out there, would not be as many if......................we took away all this 'gotta have' technology and gently showed them just what can be done without a $1600.00 gaming console.

I have no control, nor do I want it, about how my grandkids are being raised but their parents have taken a cue from me and that is if you live in Canada you better learn to swim and skate.......and they all do.....and are all very good at it. My grandkids spend more time using their imagination, playing sports and talking with adults and their little friends as well as reading and I am well aware that they will become conscious of the technology as they age but at least they now have a foundation of "other meaningful/healthy stuff" to build on.

PS...none watch TV, they are allowed to watch selected DVDs (for kids) but I have yet to see any of them whine about wanting to watch TV......

If you go to YouTube and search for Sleepy Man Banjo Boys, there are dozens of more performances by these guys, including a Bluegrass festival in Newport, R.I. and even a performance at the Ryman Auditorium (home of The Grand Old Opry) during a tribute to Earl Scruggs. Those kids have talent and no amount of parental pressure could have got them to that level, only thousands of hours of practice and a desire to improve. I'm not a country music fan but I could listen to instrumental Bluegrass performances like that all day long.

Archived