Ah..Our "free" melting pot

Kip Powick

I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, it doesn't seem right that immigrants can set-up shop in Candada so easily (Mexican loophole). But that said, we need immigration and I have all the belief in the world that the Mexican family depicted in the video will eventually be productive members of Canadian society.

Success with immigration is not always seen with the first generation, it's their children and grand-children that really make the immigration system work. Most immigrants from 3rd world countries don't come here for themselves, they come to Canada to give their children an opportunity not available in their home country.

In the USA, the Mexican family are treated as criminals.......in Canada, we give them a starting chance at success.

I agree with your post "YYC I/C", but have a question based on your comment, "we need immigration".

Why?

Actually, we need some immigration because we have a large, retiring baby boom generation and many of them possess skills that our younger generations no longer aspire to acquire. These including a lot of industrial skills for which there are going to be many vacancies, but judging by efforts to find and train replacements, many companies fear the jobs will go begging. This is particularly true of industries like mining, forestry, etc, where skilled tradespeople willing to leave big cities are scarce. A number of Canadian businesses actively recruit overseas for that reason.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that we need immigration ...but.....there has to be a more equitable way to accept immigrants rather than the way we are doing it now...re - the initial post/video.

I think we would all be hard pressed to find another country in the world that has a procedure, (re- this case), like Canada.........and how long before it is stopped..? sad.gif

Immigrants do the crap job nobody else wants. I am pretty much a law and order guy but after travelling thru so much of the Caribbean and mexico and seeing the desperation for a better way of life I have a hard time condoning anyone who wants a better life.

I do not know what the solution is but if it were up to me the people in the clip would be allowed to stay.

I agree choc , we should welcome these people with open arms, the majority of them are hard workers looking for a legitimate better way of life, however if they are found to be engaged in criminal activity of any kind, they should be immediatly deported without trial or any rights that should only be reserved for Canadian taxpayers. We have enough slackers/criminals that we have to support already.

Archived