Number 77

Kip Powick

Not long ago we had one 'kid' being loaded on the aircraft beside ours. Not a dry eye in the house as the employees and guests all stopped to bow their heads in respect as he was loaded underneath by a military precession. Before that event, the news had made me emotionless, from the constant coverage and poor reporting. It's safe to say that isn't the case anymore and I now find a minute to think about everyone of these kids and how I'm thankful that they have done what I haven't had to. Being from a long time military family and not being military, I can see why Remembrance Day was so important to us now.

Guest rattler

Seems that we are becoming the target of choice. Not good!

Seven Canadians suffer minor injuries from blasts in Afghanistan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 9:37 on January 17, 2008, EST.

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Seven Canadian soldiers have suffered minor injuries in two separate explosions believed caused by roadside bombs in Afghanistan.

The latest blasts happened in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar city on Wednesday.

The incidents, which affected two vehicles on the same convoy nearly three hours apart, came a day after a Canadian soldier was killed in a similar blast in Arghandab district.

Trooper Richard Renaud, a 26-year-old with the 12e Regiment blinde du Canada, died when his Coyote reconnaissance vehicle stuck an improved explosive device, or IED, while out on an early morning patrol.

IEDs are commonly known as roadside bombs.

The latest explosion brings the number of IED strikes against Canadian troops to five in four days. The other two resulted in only minor injuries and vehicle damage.

Archived