Westjet's Low Key Pilot (Mr. Bell)

Kip Powick

WestJet Airlines Ltd. co-founder Donald Bell quietly walks through Calgary's airport and enters the cockpit of a Boeing 737 for a reality check on the front lines.

Unbeknownst to WestJet passengers, the unassuming captain happens to be the wealthiest commercial pilot in Canada. Mr. Bell, WestJet's executive vice-president of corporate culture, owns nearly one million WestJet shares worth $14.5-million. "It's only on paper," he said in a phone interview, confirming his WestJet stake. His WestJet shares are in his own name, a family trust and a numbered Alberta company.

Mr. Bell, 51, tries to pilot a round-trip WestJet flight whenever he can, on average once a week. In doing so, he gains first-hand feedback from staff. "It's mostly to stay current and get a chance to be out on the line, watching what's going on."

WestJet chief executive officer and co-founder Clive Beddoe has been the brains behind the carrier's business plans since its launch in 1996. He has developed a high public profile after overseeing Calgary-based WestJet's expansion strategy, including aircraft orders and new routes.

By contrast, Mr. Bell has been low key over the years, and is able to walk in public unrecognized by passengers, even at WestJet's home base of Calgary International Airport. But internally, he is widely considered WestJet's spiritual leader, the "culture guru" who champions teamwork while emphasizing an upbeat mood.

He said WestJet's challenge is to maintain its reputation for peppy staff, even as the carrier plans to hire another 1,500 workers over the next three years, adding to the existing roster of 6,000 employees.

WestJet has a fleet of 63 Boeing planes, and expects to introduce another 20 aircraft by the end of 2009, Mr. Bell said.

In WestJet's lingo, employees are called "people" or "WestJetters," while passengers are known as "guests" -- words that pop up in daily conversations among airline management and staff.

"Clive has the business sense, and I focus on the people and the guest experience. It has been a good mixture of capabilities," said Mr. Bell, who also serves as chairman of the Air Transport Association of Canada.

He said WestJet has survived and prospered, despite four notable setbacks over the past 11 years: Grounding planes for 17 days during a dispute with Transport Canada in 1996, the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States in 2001, the SARS outbreak in 2003, and a two-year court fight against Air Canada that ended in 2006.

The two airlines reached an out-of-court settlement last May, as WestJet apologized for spying on Air Canada's password-protected employee website for booking flights. "That was an unfortunate chapter in our history," Mr. Bell said.

He doesn't want to dwell on the past, saying WestJet's recovery from the court fight can be seen in its strong financial showing. WestJet's gross profit-sharing payments issued in November averaged $2,500 an employee. And 85 per cent of workers own WestJet shares.

"The more successful the company is, the more successful our people are," Mr. Bell said.

He said there are skeptics who liken WestJet's nurturing of its culture to throwing "pixie dust" at people to make them think happy thoughts. WestJetters aren't "drinking the Kool-Aid" to join some cult-like following of the carrier's feel-good attitude, but are true converts to management's mantra that friendly service translates into a profitable airline, he said.

Travel industry consultant Debra Ward said WestJet workers are "empowered" to respond to customer complaints, noting that the carrier doesn't carry the historical baggage of Air Canada, where union leaders have repeatedly clashed with management after a series of layoffs and wage cuts. She said Mr. Bell recognizes the importance of nourishing WestJet's non-union culture amid turnover in the executive suite.

There are four WestJet co-founders: Mr. Bell and Mr. Beddoe are the two remaining, in the wake of the departures of Mark Hill in 2004 and Thomas (Tim) Morgan in 2005. Mr. Beddoe, a former real estate developer who holds a private pilot's licence, controls 6.2 million WestJet shares worth almost $90-million.

A former co-owner of a software business, Mr. Bell invested seed capital in WestJet at pennies a share when it was still a private company in 1995. He also received stock in lieu of working long hours at low pay, preparing for WestJet's launch in February, 1996. The carrier's initial public offering in 1999 was priced at $2.96 a share, adjusted for three stock splits since then.

Mr. Bell's WestJet stake was once as much as 1.2 million shares, but he gradually sold down his holdings in recent years, including 123,000 shares in 2006, according to filings with securities regulators.

WestJet shares closed at $14.50 on Friday.

Readers Comments...

A D from Canada writes: Now, if Robert Milton would do the same thing, what an eye-popping discovery he'd make! Unfortunately, His Royal Imperial Hubris Milton would never deign to fingernails dirty in such a manner, let alone consider anyone with a bank account balance of less than one million a "person". Something to get his jollies out of maybe, but a "person"? Never! Hats off to WestJet for a having someone on board who takes the time to get to really know what's happening down the ranks. Companies that keep their employees happy rarely wind up with the type of union problems Air Canada has.

Robert Pike from Kitchener, Canada writes: This is not only a very interesting story but also refreshing. In a time and place where satisfying the customer sees to come last here this story pops up. With way too many bad experiences with Air Canada, this story along with believing WestJet to be better anyway has given me a HUGE difference of opinion between between Air Canada and WestJet. I also thought there philosophy good when I saw that their very down to earth president was actually from Nfld. Not a guy wrapped up in himself but a man who also seemed set on customer and employee satisfaction. Great job WestJet.

Terry Quinn from Oakville Ontario, Canada writes: To AD...(no guts to put your real name in print?) Milton inherited, basically, a nationalized employee group whose union reps had reigned with terror over the Company for many years. Milton has taken on the unions and improved productivity quite dramatically. When you are the size of an Elephant and need to be as versatile a a cat things can get nasty. Milton has made the painful cuts and improved technology making AC a leader in many facets of the airline business. The elephant is getting trimmed down to size and in my opinion, as regular flier, morale is coming back. AC is working hard on that issue. They are far from perfect but I, for one, prefer them over the perky robots calling me a guest and then herding me on board like cattle and telling me some dumb jokes when I'm captive. AC still needs to work much harder at customer relationships but that is a very large job in a unionized environment especially one in which union leaders like pam Sachs operate in. She believes in the old work ethic that the Company simply exists to feed the union coffers and help her keep the dues flowing. Wetjet came along at the right time with CP ailing and Canada 3000 to go down in flames shortly after. So luck and timing has something to do with their success while AC has had to completely remake themselves.

Sam Watson from Montreal, Canada writes: Well when I noticed this story I said this should spur some of that anti-Air Canada ranting. Air Canada has become the whipping boy for a lot of airline customers it seems. Air Canada should have gone for a name change when they emirged from backruptcy protection in an effort to shun that long affiliation of being a government run cooperation. Some people still believe Air Canada is owned by the Federal Government! THE BIG MYTHS ABOUT AIR CANADA ARE THESE GEMS: #1. A/C is the only airline that loses your luggage! #2. A/C is the only airline that overbooks! #3. A/C is the only airline that charges for meals! #4.A/C is the only airline that cancels flights due to bad weather! #5. A/C is the only airline that has some rude in flight crews! #6. A/C is the only airline with no leg room. #7. A/C is the only airline that ocasionally has a dirty aircraft. The real truth is Air Canada is not the only airline with these above mentioned problems! Readers of Global Traveler,a leading travel magazine in the U.S. have voted Air Canada the " best airline in North America," and the best in Canada according to a survey published in the January issue. I agree with Terry Quinn amateur comedians with bad jokes don't an airline make!

Now, if Robert Milton would do the same thing, what an eye-popping discovery he'd make! Unfortunately, His Royal Imperial Hubris Milton would never deign to fingernails dirty in such a manner

I've personaly seen Robert sorting bags in YUL a few years back.

Archived