For aircraft model builders out there

Kip Powick

That is amazing, I am assuming that it is at the RAF museum at Hendon from the "full circle" comment. I've been lucky enough to get to both Hendon and Duxford, well worth it, but that model would merit a trip on its own.

Must have been a real labour of love.

Speaking of Spitfire engines. A friend of my Dads, Peter, was contacted by a group in England about a year & a half ago. They wanted to know if they could give his name to some French archeologists. Seems these French fellows found a Rolls Royce Merlin engine and through the serial number and the help of the English group it was determined that it was in the airframe that Peter had shot out from under him. Peter spent the rest of the war in a camp. If you have ever read the book “The Wooden Horse” one of Peter’s jobs in the camp was to help carry the horse each day to the exercise/tunnel area.

• 3 months later...

Pretty cool, Kip! I sent the URL to my Dad. His first flight in a later Mk (SeaFire) was in early 1945 when his new squadron leader told him "There's your machine. Go learn how to fly it." His next baptism of fire was south of Burma where his orders gave him the name and approximate position of his carrier and stated: "When (read: IF) you find it, teach yourself how to land on it."

Archived