Carry On Baggage Question

Kip Powick

One of the most expensive pieces of gear that scuba divers carry is theire Regs and consoles. We "normally" always carry them on board in a special reg-bag.

The console has a computer, an air pressure gauge and a compass.

The compass has liquid in it...... Can't find anything written about allowing/not allowing a compass as "carry on".

Next time you get screened could you just ask one of the screeners if a compass can go as carry-on...

Yes..I am familiar with the "liquid" thing presently in effect..... but for a compass ?????

Thanks

Just heard (this very second) that restrictions have been lifted on liquids, gels and hairsprays by the Feds. Liquids must still be purchased post-security but it's getting better.

My wife had an interesting question the other day; why could you purchase a beverage post-security but without a lid and yet, you still had to consume it prior to boarding? What difference would it make having a lid or not in the lounge? You can't take it with you!!

I told her I had no answers as I just drive the bus and I can get my "X-large double-double" through with no problems.

As for the scuba consol, I wouldn't worry about it. Most screeners probably wouldn't know what it was anyway. huh.gif

One of the most expensive pieces of gear that scuba divers carry is theire Regs and consoles. We "normally" always  carry them on board in a special reg-bag.

The console has a computer, an air pressure gauge and a compass.

The compass has liquid in it...... Can't find anything written about allowing/not allowing a compass as "carry on".

Next time you get screened could you just ask one of the screeners if a compass can go as carry-on...

Yes..I am familiar with the "liquid" thing presently in effect..... but for a compass ?????

Thanks

Why don't you just call the airline that you are flying on and ask them directly.

P.S Be sure to take down the agents name that you speak with, it may come in handy when your checking in ,the what she/he said does not match what the checkin agent/ security says. Better yet get it in writing as you seem to have problems with your gear at times.

cool26.gifcool26.gifcool26.gif

Why don't you just call the airline that you are flying on and ask them directly.

Called two airlines, (Charter), the answer I got was

1) "I'm not sure but I would doubt it...I guess it depends on whether they see it or not"

2) " I don't think that would be a problem but you never know"

I'll think I'll wait and see if I get any definitive answers from the two companies Cust Serv Depts, via email

gel-filled bras are permitted?? - I know where to hide my stuff now!

cc

I have to say... I did, um, wonder about gel-filled breasts... but I figured that it would take a really topnotch and observant CATSA agent to pick them out of a line-up. rolleyes.gif

Archived