Guitar addicts anonymous?

Ok... I've been watching some guitars on Ebay... and I'm oh-so-tempted!!!

Background.... :

I have an old (early 70's), low-end, pretty rough and a bit beat up acoustic that still sounds nice, and it's what I play most often, but really isn't much... I have a very old and very rough 12 string that sounds very tinny...

In the past year I've bought:

- a used Washburn "G1V" electric that was a great first electric for me...

- a pretty decent "Epiphone Les Paul Special" bass guitar (Epiphone is Gibson's lower end stuff.. like Squier is to Fender, or maybe more like what Toyota is to Lexus?)

- A Squier Strat for my son

- A very lousy classical acoustic for my son

- A decent - but low end "D9" Washburn acoustic for my son (better quality than my own, but I don't think it sounds as nice)

- An awesome Fender Strat for myself (was a gift from wife and kids)

....and now I find myself wanting to get a better acoustic... "dreadnought" style... and maybe a good quality classical.... ?

Ebay is currently swamped with Washburn acoustics being sold by a guy who gets them with blemishes or discontinued models, or damage (the D9 I bought was one of those... I paid $61 plus shipping for it because it had a crack in the neck that doesn't effect playability or sound at all)

....I've been drooling over a cedar top "Southern Jumbo" that I could probably get for $200 - nothing wrong with it... discontinued model....

What should I do:

a - shoot myself

b - buy the bloody guitar and shut up

c - keep drooling but don't touch that "best offer" button!

d - destroy any record of my PayPal account and stay the hell away from Ebay

...or:

e - Buy a few cheap and try to sell a couple to pay for the one I'd like to keep

??????

Any thoughts would be welcome. tongue.gif

Mitch;

This is corny, and it works: We're not getting any younger. The tide's at the flood right now, so follow yer dreams. You will never, ever go wrong. If you stop to think it all through, there's a very good chance you WILL go wrong! Logic has nothing to do with it! Know what Mitch? "....I've been drooling " sez it all.

Finding these instruments is a real joy. I bought my oldest a '72 Fender Jazz Bass about 10 years ago. We've straightened the neck (twist and bow) and done a few other minor things but its a sweet sound. My youngest has a Musicman 5-string bass and loves it. We bought a 5/8th plywood upright for school, (not a tubby sound...its quite good) and when he was in university we found a bass owned by Andy Simpkins...a Jucek, about a hundred years old...lovely warm sound.

Me? I want a Steinway D even tho' these fingers are getting cranky. biggrin.gif

d - destroy any record of my PayPal account and stay the hell away from Ebay

But then, you knew I'd pick option "d." ... wink.gif

Don,

There's dreams and then there's addictions. He forgot to mention the violin... rolleyes.gif E-bay is cunningly addictive. ph34r.gif

cc

cc

He forgot to mention the violin...

Ah, hiding things, is he?

Know about those kinds of addictions...they're pleasant ones until you have to move!

Hey Mitch, so far you've got one co-dependant enabler and one who sez tear up the paypal account. Who ya gonna listen to? tongue.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Ok... So I forgot to mention the voilin... cool.gif ... Anyway, having read Don's response... (no worries mate, when my wife comes at me with an axe, I won't mention your name)... I went and hit the best offer button... so I'll consider myself 1/3rd of the way toward fulfilling option e. biggrin.gif

...y'never know... the guy might not accept my offer? unsure.gif

Buy exactly what you want. There's nothing worse than paying for something you didn't really want even if it was cheaper. Usually you end up buying what you wanted in the first place and taking a loss on your original purchase just to get rid of the bloody thing! blink.gif

Obviously I've spent a few buck on guitars! Oh and I have a Spruce top Washburn Electro-Acoustic that sounds awesome too.

Music is special... At least I sure think so.. (some - and my darlin' wife would clearly qualify for this category - don't see it that way)

If I found myself staring down a truck that was about to put the final exclamation point on the story of my life, ...while I considered the long lists of what's been good and what's been not-so-good, or of satisfaction and regret... I'm certain the only aspect of music that wouldn't be near the top of the happy side of those lists, would be those little side tales with the financial manager side of my wife, which really have to do with money, not music at all.

...I guess the real trouble only comes if I'm so broke that I almost need that truck. laugh.gif

...Ok, so a selling I will go... cool.gif I just discovered something I can sell that I won't ever use again... Should more than pay for this guitar, if I get it.... Anybody want to buy an RC helicopter? biggrin.gif

Oh and I have a Spruce top Washburn Electro-Acoustic that sounds awesome too.

smile.gif ...That's good to hear. I recently tried a 12 string Washburn (a D10S12 - spruce top), and I loved it! Curiously, it's owner didn't like it, but I thought it had a nice, deep, rich tone... Maybe he'd played a Martin recently or something?... tongue.gif

Way ta go Mitch! You can never have too many musical instruments in the house. I've been checking out Ebay for a while now drooling over some Ludwig Vistalites. Mrs. dr1 says we don't have room for another set of drums but you've inspired me. I'll tell her it was your fault. cool26.gif

laugh.gif Good luck Dave. (These the ones? http://cgi.ebay.ca/vintage-LUDWIG-vista-li...1QQcmdZViewItem )

Considering the chances she'll ever get close enough to wallop me are pretty much zilch, you just go right ahead and blame me! biggrin.gif That's some blame I'd wear with a smile.

Cheers,

Mitch

Them's the ones Mitch, ain't they beauties? They're way off on the price though so I think I'll let him sweat it out for a while. Besides, if I end up with a 7 piece kit I, I mean you are really going to be in trouble. Then if I do get them I'm going to have to find a Supraphonic snare... rolleyes.gif

Archived