Computer software question

Kip Powick

Comments please as to what is the BEST adaware product you may be using. I did have Lavasoft adaware running, (free version), but have deleted it as it had an issue with "Norton".

PS ...now use AVAST ! as my antivirus software. Norton has been "dumped".

THanx cool.gif

I use F-Stop instead of Norton. Norton is a very large and restrictive program which dramatically slows the computer down. For Adware I use PestPatrol.

Since using them (6 months now), I have had no viruses (had 2 with Norton) and computer is back to normal speed.

Microsoft Antispyware is good but I have been trying to stay away from Microsoft lately. Many if not most viruses are written for Microsoft products. The best change you could make and it's free is get rid of Microsoft Explorer and use FireFox. You will find it very familiar to explorer but much more secure and less of a target. wink.gif

I've tried Adaware, and spyware killer, but microsoft actually did good this time with antispyware... I'm very impressed with it since it found over 100 spyware and adware that the other 2 missed.

Also, the best way to avoid all this crap is to NOT use Internet Explorer. Switch to Mozilla Firefox. It's free, and far safer to use as a browser than IE.

Uisng Webroot Spysweeper on the recomendation of the gent I bought my latest machine from. The feature he liked was that it can prevent many nasties from installing in the first place rather than only clean up afterwards.

I am using PCCilin for AV, no compatibility issues so far.

Thanks fellows...it would appear that like ourselves....we all select something different. I suppose as long as it works we should be happy. Tons of reviews on the NET, eachl screaming they are the best, but what counts most is the job they all do and the satisfaction level of the PC owner.

I will do more reading and look up a lot of what you have all offered.

Thank you for your time smile.gif

There is a utility program called CrapCleaner that some have had good words about on PPRune. It cleans out a lot of the trash you collect from surfing, temp files and so on. Google brings it up and also brings up a couple of sites that have reviewed it.

PS. If Google brings up Mitch when you search on CrapCleaner you have gone too far down the page. laugh.gif

Guest Cargodawg

As far Adaware and NOD32 as an antivirus runs like a champ at home.

NOD32 (NOD32)has won some pretty good awards for reliability and take up we'll little CPU usage when running. As a former NAV user I found a fairly decent improvement in the computer performance.

Bang on the money with Firefox, but if you want to stay a jump ahead of any security issues etc, you can venture out and get some of the beta versions of the upcoming FF releases or the nightly updates from here (Firefox Pre-releases/betas) or even hourly releases from here (The Burning Edge)

I'm running FF V1.5 beta 2 and have yet to find any issues with it...

Archived