Hawaii ...... you ever notice?

Just wondering….

If you visit Hawaii you will notice that they have “Interstate Highways”…Why?? And if you tour any of the islands you will notice that 7-11s are abundant and they all advertise open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year……why are there locks on the doors?

It is late..... but I was just wondering rolleyes.gif

Guest coke
Just wondering….

If you visit Hawaii you will notice that they have “Interstate Highways”…Why?? And if you tour any of the islands you will notice that 7-11s are abundant and they all advertise open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year……why are there locks on the doors?

It is late..... but I was just wondering rolleyes.gif

They have to have locks on all the doors in case of emergencies. Hawaii has the odd hurricane to tropical storm in which they must close shop and head to high ground. They can't just walk away and leave the 7-11 open, can you say LOOT, LOOT, LOOT

Apprently there was an incident where some kids in Hawaii broke out of jail, one of the girls left a note for her parents saying they were going to Texas.

A high speed chase then followed as the kids circled the entire highway system three times, under the impression the interstate would eventually lead to the mainland.

Guest coke

Any highway built under the control of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 and funded by the federal governent is called an interstate highway, even if it doesn't cross state lines.Tthere are many local routes that lie entirely within a single state funded by the Act. Hawaii has three interstates H1, H2, and H3 - which connect important military facilities on the island of Oahu.

Guest ikfu

Rumour has it that interstate highways had a military aspect, and that a spec had to be met to carry certain types of vehicles, with certain requirements for underpass, overpass, load bearing, plus lengths of straight enough and reinforced highway to allow landing/takeoff of transports. Apparently this was in reference to the Cold War, I believe, when there was a fear of the Russian invasion. I don't know if that had validity or not.

Archived